myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sails at Ocean beach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbremmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sailor from Southern Cal. Bolsa Chica/Sunset (open ocean on-shore wave sailing) is my home launch. My daughter started attending CSUSF 4 years ago, so moving her back and forth for the school years gives me a chance to enjoy the SF area. I sail Crissy on most visits, but was intrigued at the challenge of OB. We stay at the Great Highway Inn with surfboards, and Windsurg gear, so it is natural to try OB when windy. The straight on-shore wind angle is more challenging than expected. I failed my first attempts to get through the surf. Next, I just observed the local sailors. They never make a last second turn into the white water or wave faces. They either find open chanels or bear off going down wind for the next opportunity. They keep it planing and look for open doors. Using this idea, I got through the surf and had a great day. Huge swells on the outside were also fun.
george

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: OB like a Flow-BE Reply with quote

I have been sailing ob for 10 years. your best bet is to chat it up with the sailors and kiters down at kellys on a sailable day. Most all are real friendly and give out advice for the fun and safety of new recruits. We welcome all takers because so few people want to earn the skill required to sail the place. It is very challenging to you and your gear,,, but the reward is equal. I am jaded now and cant bring my self to flat water sail chrissy unless it has been months since a session. The waves are so much better. You can jump, wave ride back side and between the waves is is smooth, no jarring chrissy chop.

Each session is totaly different but here are a few standards. Rig bigger than you think, use your floatiest board. The wave is always bigger than it looks. especially down by VFW. pump to achieve plane. Out run the waves you can. Ollie the rest or even slow down and let the wave pass and pinch behind. Allways be careful at low tide the wave cracks top to bottom. dont ditch your gear, if you wipe out hold tight to something as long as you can that way your gear washes less far. The rips can be gnaraly.

For me and most of the other guys ob is most fun under 8 foot, with medium to high tide nw clearing wind that is starting to come up. Over 10 to 15 feet just sail the inside. Remember if you can sail ob you can charge anywhere in the world. Davenport, Scotts, and Waddell are way more fun but for challenge and tactical skills you cant beat OB.
700,000 people in city of SF : 40 guys sail or kite it.. be one
windwiner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, Thank you that is the response I was hoping for. I'm looking forward to timing the next NW day right. I will see you on the water.
dog-killer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to add to what george said. BTW is that my buddie euro george?
I am one of the local sailors at OB and have sailed it regularly for the past 10 yrs.

1st off forget about south winds thats the worst time to try to sail there. It can have its occasional fun day but 9 out of 10 arnt. Its to up and down light on the inside swells to big or whatever. And any one of the locals will tell you the same.

Also when the wind is really west it is not very fun unless the swell is tiny. Sometimes with a high tide and small swell it be really fun to buzz just off the beach, but it has to be the right condition with enough water to be able to do it.

NW winds are the best conditions at OB period. And bigger gear is highly recommended. It's the perfect spot to justify buying that big floaty wave board. Or even a bump and jump.

Wave riding there can be better than you think once you get it figured out. But if you try and ride the same equipment that you would use at waddel chances are good you going to walk away frustrated. But catch it on a south swell day on a good nw direction and you can get some really long rides.

Also we have lost some of our sailors to kiting over the last few yrs. And since the kiters can sail (or ride as they say.) in 2 in.s of water they have been showing up in droves. So the few sailers that are left are always out number by the kiters.

Botten line. If your so inclined get out and try it! Us locals will be happy to see you and will try to give you advise so you can make the most of it. Once you figure it out it can be a really fun spot.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty surprised to see a lot of really good postings to this topic.

To add, a couple of people mentioned that they have sailed OB on a SE wind, so have I and they were the best couple of sessions.

Whoever said, you can sail anywhere is dead on. I sailed Jalama when it was big for the time and it was a piece of cake compared to OB.

I think the best advice is learn to surf OB, surfing helps you so so much.

Avoid Wadell. It's a crap spot to learn to wave sail, Daves is 100% better. You can actually get turns and there is a nice channel to get you out (when logo and smaller) without busting all your gear.

As for North. Tubamanche is my no.1 spot. Limantour beach, tack up wind 1 mile to the spit and on south swell days you have an amazing spot with no crowd. Make sure the wind is cranking at the Bodega Buoy.

Tuba is remote, go out with a friend you trust. It is remote and a little daunting. I sail the place solo and it is spooky, but then I am not that smart! I also sail Dillon, had a two hour swim at the place solo and thought my number was up!

Make sure your gear is in good shape.
airwavesf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: who sails at ocean beach Reply with quote

George summarizes Ocean Beach very nicely. If you want a true wave sailing side shore experience you will be dissapointed.Ocean Beach makes Chrissy field look like candy land. If you want to learn how too sail and do not mind some punishment and occasional "walk of shame" you will be rewarded. There can be classic days here. Certain wind and swell combinations can be lets say "very interesting", but you will have to earn it. Word of advice after sailing here for over 20 years slightly bigger sails and board are in order, Know how to swim. Breaking gear - you can break gear anywhere. One mast and one boom and all these years is far from being catastrophic. I should not admit it but the people who sail here (and even some of the kiters) are spot on. There a great crew
ewaingortin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: How about Ocean Beach today? Reply with quote

WNW Wind, don't have time to drive to Waddell, and it's kind of flooding or flukey everywhere else...
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was an OB day. There were somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 windsurfers out today... haven't seen that many before. I caught the late sesh... 5.3 and 81l wave board. I'll upload some video tomorrow.

Not great wave riding.... wind was really onshore, but it was a fun sesh. Need to sail here in my backyard more often.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bil7y

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: NIce to see you out there Kevin Reply with quote

Photo

dsc_0018_176.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.04 KB
 Viewed:  17438 Time(s)

dsc_0018_176.jpg

Jaipal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see guys are still sailing OB. I used to love the place and second 100% that it is a great training ground. A successful season there will get your confidence up to face just about anything.

Use a stiffer fin than you would normally use in the waves. Torquay Fin Co. from Australia used to make really cool onshore fins. The rake and chord were designed to get the job done in heavy OB like stuff. Unfortunately, they are out of business but you may be able to score one online someday.

Keep your speed up and crank it hard upwind in between peaks. Just keep moving and you will make it.

Have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: