myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quonset Point, RI, broken wind reading...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Quonset Point, RI, broken wind reading... Reply with quote

Driving back from work, I decided to check out this Quonset Pt site by the air field just to get back in the swing of things for spring. I'm still new to RI and am trying to feel the area out.

Quonset Point was RIPPIN!!!! Pt Judith, Ninegrit and Fogland were reading at the low teens and I thought I'd get knocked over at Quonset at 6:00pm in a Southerly breeze. Great area, kind of strange with the Air Force museum and 'dead' airplanes around but the site seemed GREAT! I have 2 questions:

1) What's up with the obviously broken Quonset Pt wind reading (showing 0-1 mph all the time).

2) Have I discovered a true GEM in RI? Is this a big spot for other sailors and if so, why didn't I see anyone out there?

Anyone who could give a RI newbie some advice on this spot would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting desperate to break in the season!!!

DC
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen Quonset Pt. What does it look like for a sailing site? Does it have anything special, like waves, sandbars, etc. Sorry I can't tell you anything about it but let us know what it's like if you give it a try.
osprey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's up with the Quonset wind meter either. There is another meter called Quonset PORTS. It is located all the way out at the end of the pier and gives a good reading for what is going on out inthe middle of the bay. To see the PORTS meter you have to click on the square for the upper half of the bay it is just below the Quonset meter.
The place can really get going on a S to SW day when the coast is dead due to a cold water induced boundary layer. It is also nice on NE. There is usually a 2 to 4 ft chop on a good day out in the middle. The current can be strong at times as well. Not a good beginner spot.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on Quonset Ports! I just added it to my favarites and wireless setup so I'm ready.

Hope to see more folks out there.

DC
peterk123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to belong to Fleet 448, a catamaran sailing club in RI. They sailed out of that spot every weekend. I believe that they still do. It used to consist of a great bunch of guys and I am sure they would welcome a race with some windsurfers. I windsurfed out of there a couple of times and had a great time. The wind funnels through the area and the chop can get nice and steep.

I'm in anytime a bunch of you decide to go.

Peter
chrissim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Quonset PT rocks! Reply with quote

Sail there all the time. I live in Wickford, so it's about 5 from my house. Great spot for west and sw. I typically go by whatever the reading is at Halfway Rock. Alot of folks don't like sailing there because the point, pier, and docked boats cause a wierd reflective wave pattern that usually extends about 500 to 600 yards south of the point. I agree that it is not a beginner spot, you are going to want to make sure you can get back to that stretch of beach. There's a pier on one side, Electric Boat on the other, and all sorts of nastyness around the other side of the point, including an active airport runway. If your game and it's blowing sw, once you clear the point and get out towards the channel heading towards Jamestown it's like buttah. It's also really fun during the week before the RI airshow, you rip across the water while jets and other aircraft scream across the sky above. I haven't gotten out yet this year because of work and bad timing, but if you see a silver saab and a guy with a big grin that's me.
jwj16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grew up and sailed nk all my life. i have tried to find this spot several times and i can't find my way to a beach. too many industial buildings and dead ends. any hints????
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you find it, you won't believe you missed it. Keep driving until you pass the Electric Boat facility.

On your left, you will see the Aircraft musuem (lots of old/dead aircraft...kind of surreal), directly across from that on your right is the beach. It's not that obvious but after you pass the Electric boat and some industrial looking areas, you should see a dirt pathway leading to an open clearing. If you see big cement highway dividers, just follow them.

Follow the rolling dirt pathway and you will come to an actual beach area (seems strange that you can't see it from the street but it's only 500 yards or so from the street).

I hope to see more folks out there. It seems like a great place with good winds.

DC
jwj16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, you will most likely see me around this season. my work takes me near there weekly and I am always up for a quick session when the winds a blowen. jsut look for large white gmc with shovels sticking out the back.

jwj
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Quonset Pt Reply with quote

The PORTS meter should be on the iWindsurf network. I have brought it up a few years ago, but it never happened. All the other PORTS sites are on the system, but for some reason Quonset never got added.

Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: