myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sails San Leandro harbor??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: San Leandro goes off Reply with quote

I've heard some good things 'bout San Leandro but never sailed there. Here's what another George told me about the place:

Hi George, San Leandro Marina in a nutshell:
there is a small grass rigging area in front of the old Blue Dolphin restaurant and a cement ramp that was built in the middle of the night.
{windsurf angels?}

The best indicators of wind conditions can be found on iWindsurf. See the Oakland Airport sensor & also the San Leandro Offshore sensor. Readings of 15 mph mean 20+ on the outside.

[[LOOKS GOOD RECENTLY!:]]
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=126&siteID=1703&Isection=Last+7+Days

Great on SW storm winds and when its blowing West in the peninsula and Coyote and Third Avenue are full of holes on the inside. As for crowds they say 3 is a crowd -- if that is the case then it has not been crowed in a long time. Back in the day you could see up to ten guys on the water.

NO KITES. Too close to the airport and to tuff to launch. In general it is just a good spot to keep an eye on and has served me well for 12 years or so. I can pick up 20+ days there without making the drive across the bay. SEE YA ON THE WATER!

Exclamation
Georges

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Water Reply with quote

+1 foot and you can sail bolth sides of the channel +.75 you well need to stay in front of the ramp.Geo
Rube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George

Thanks for all the beta! I have't sailed San Leandro, but it's on my way home, and I've always been tempted as it's a darn site less out of my way than a trip over the bridge to 3rd.

Where's the Blue Dolphin? I looked on Google Maps, but couldn't find it, I imagine it will be pretty obvious I suppose.

Cheers

R
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Water Reply with quote

georges wrote:
+1 foot and you can sail bolth sides of the channel +.75 you well need to stay in front of the ramp.Geo

georges,

I heard there was some kind of jellyfish problem at San Leandro. Is it true???

Laughing
mo
Georges

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Water Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
georges wrote:

georges,

I heard there was some kind of jellyfish problem at San Leandro. Is it true???

Laughing
mo
TRUE,BUT THE RIBBED JELLY CAN EXTEND FOR SAILING PLEASURE.
Georges

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Back in the day. San Leandro Reply with quote

George here,I have sailed SL for the better part or 15 years,back in the day there could be up to 8 sailors on the water {wow}Spring is a great time to keep an eye on sl readings of 15 or over are always worth a look in the summer .Before the days of the ramp you payed in blood to sail there, lots of folks would come by get bashed on the rocks and never come back {we call that east bay crowd controle}After we built the ramp windsurfing was on the decline and those that do show up cant find it hehe.Heres the deal marina blvd west right turn at the El torito 2nd grass area on the right facing oakland airport the ramp is too the left of the grass.If you cant point up wind or take care of yourself on the water STAY HOME.PS. San Leandro fisherman will take great pride in putting a hole through your new 5.0 with a 6oz sinker give them a wide berth.Welcome to the east bay.40 oz oe8 is still our drink of choice.Geo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: