myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who Loves Treasure Island -SF? We got closure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Who Loves Treasure Island -SF? We got closure Reply with quote

The Navy has closed our launch area "temporarily" and for at least this season. They are removing soil nearby but just using the parking lot for equipment. There is no alternate spot at TI to fall back on but a minor change in the fencing and signs could make it usable for us -- but the Navy has not been willing to bend its plans. We need to rally the troops.

For more info ck out www.SFBA.org

Email me if you can send a letter on this topic.

tmgan@pacbell.net

Tom Gandesbery
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
jse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Were you involved at all last fall and winter with the meetings, comment period, etc...? It's kind of late to rally the troops now, as it's a done deal. The time to act was before the project started. At this time, the best thing to do is to let them finish the job on time so we can at least hope for some access later on in the season. The contractor is contractually motivated to finish on time, i.e., they get ding'd for each day they are late. If you want more information, you should contact Peter Thorner or Jim McGrath at SFBA. They can fill you in on the current situation there.

(Yesterday, due to a prior family commitment, I took a tour-boat to Alcatraz. It was howling, the swell looked tasty, and off on the horizon where the TI launch sits - not a single sail in sight. Sad.)

Steve
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: somewhere in between Reply with quote

maybe the current status is somewhere in between Tom and Steve's take on this. Like Steve suggests it's not clear a letter-writing campaign would win the day for us at this point, but Tom's sense of having some hope (if not necessarily for '07) seems reasonable. Anyway, this snippet below is the very start of the update which is on SFBA.org. It's worth having a look there, but I know, most of us are non-clickers... we'll read what's here and then get back to work... That's alright, this is at least a taster, and it gives a picture of what SFBA is trying now:

Update - February 20, 2007
The Navy and the Department of Toxic Substances Control today issued a response to the concerns expressed by windsurfers with regard to their planned closure of the windsurf access area at Treasure Island. The Navy plans to proceed with the closure and will not provide any access for windsurfers. The area in question is not a part of the island that was included in the lease to the Treasure Island Development Authority (TIDA) and as such, the Navy argues that the windsurfing use was unauthorized and does not need to be accommodated. SFBA worked hard to convince the Navy to allow at least partial access to no avail. SFBA's next step is to work with TIDA to have the area we use added to their lease so that we can sublease it or obtain a use permit so that the Navy can't ignore windsurfers and other recreational users who want to access the Bay between next September (when the project is expected to be complete) and whenever the island transfers from Navy hands (an estimated 2 years which could mean ultimately 3-4 years or more.
bob1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it back to the "commando" days of the early-90's -- dodging Naval MPs to launch??? This is such a drag -- often TI is only place to sail west of Berkeley . . .

Is there another launchable area on the island? What about South of boat ramp further down the shadow? Would it be too hellacious a swim/slog to get past breakwater?

Then again, not sure I even want to jump in around there if gov't is dredging up decades-old, naval weapons-grade slime in the area just up wind . . . Crying or Very sad
jse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best just to let those contractors finish the job and get outta there. I'm pretty sure they've got the launch secure. The more we hassle them during the job the more likely the Navy would make it difficult for us after the job is done. Meantime, I look at my pager and salivate.

Someone suggested they yield the launch to us on weekends only. I have a better idea, let them work when it's flooding. We get it back on the ebbs.

Steve
edalunan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - really sucks that TI launch is closed. I drove around looking for a break in the fence but nope - pretty solid. I guess you could try to launch from the northwest side but risky.
jlecat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not it was closed. So I went to TI yesterday. I saw the road closed signs, but I was able to park my car, legally, one street east of the usual street, and carry my equipment (only a few hundred feets), through an opening in the fence. So I did sail TI yesterday... although I felt kind of alone Smile

Actually, strictly speaking, I did not see any sign forbidding it Smile

PS. I really feel it makes sense to get organize for making sure the site is re-opened after the constrution work. Would takes the lead ? What can we do ?
bobstevens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: TI Sailing Reply with quote

From what I've heard, as a courtesy to windsurfers during the environmental cleanup, the launch is open week days after 5 and weekends all day. We will need to park a short distance from the launch and carry our gear. I recommend maintaining a good relationship with the contractor i.e. no cutting the fence etc. so that we can continue to have access during the cleanup.

Bob
bobstevens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Thorner, the SFBA president, has been working hard for several months with the Navy to keep this site open and have it open when the cleanup is completed. What can you do? Pay your SFBA dues, contribute money and time to the SFBA, thank Peter for his hard work when you see him and go to the SFBA site http://www.sfba.org/ti.shtml to stay tuned to all the SF Bay access issues.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get involved in ensuring TI is kept open after the construction, contact the San Francisco Boardsailing Association (SFBA). They are miles ahead of you. They have been attending meetings, organizing letter writing campaigns, planning strategies, and working with the Treasure Island Development Association (TIDA) to design resort-quality launches for the final configuration. Pete Thorner (president) is doing a great job.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: