myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to stay in Hatteras with children

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devinder6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Where to stay in Hatteras with children Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest the best place to stay in Hatteras with 2.5 yr old and non-windsurfing wife? I want to make sure everyone has a good time. Where is it easiest/safest to cycle? I thought Ocracoke might have less cars on NC-12. Aside form the beach, are there playgrounds anywhere?

We are thinking of going in mid-May. Any tips on the wind in May would also be appreciated. Thanks in adavance for any replies.
billwest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is your first trip there I would stay right in Avon - you can rent a simple house off season for practically the cost of camping. This gives mom and toddler other options like the playgrounds, library, beach, etc. and gives you multple options to sail. The Can Hole is nice for families as it has a good beach for toddlers (no waves) and if you have a 4 WD you can drive down the beach a bit and sail right from your car while mom has all the kid gear accessible and a nice beach.
NC12 will have some traffic but if you cycle early in the morning it is not bad.
lturkevich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Ditto on Avon Reply with quote

Many of the realty places have their own "club" pool, make sure you check that out. The speed limits go down on NC 12 in Avon for the summer months (they're 45 mph now, they go down to 25 mph)

If you stay soundside (with no bulkhead), your little one can have his/her own personal beach: lots of little fishies to catch with the net, lots of hermit crabs to hunt for, and great way to get the toddler started on windsurfing!

If you don't want to do a weekly rental at a house, the Lighthouse View Motel in Buxton is another good option http://www.lighthouseview.com/

Things my non-windsurfing wife and daughter do while I'm shredding (things to consider as the toddler gets older):

-Pottery Painting at Studio 12 (I've got a nice collection of coffee mugs) http://www.studio12hatteras.com/
-Bead Shop
-Junior Ranger program at the Hatteras National Seashore
-Shipwreck Museum in Hatteras (just past the Ocracoke Ferry)
-Putt Putt in Buxton or Frisco

As for Hatteras in May, the age-old rule applies: bring everything.
carsten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: playground Reply with quote

as far as I remeber there is a play ground in avon behind the gas station....
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: wind archives Reply with quote

Re the wind conditions themselves, "bring everything" is good advice, huh! Anyhow here's a link to the full month of wind reports for Avon (soundside), May 2006. You can actually use the archive tool to see, on one page, the full complete month of wind reports for Avon, NC, for any month of the year, for any of the past 11 years:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?siteID=144&archiveMonth=5&archiveYear=2006&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=110&geographicalAreaID=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: