myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New In Town from North Carolina - Where to sail?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clivethomas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: New In Town from North Carolina - Where to sail? Reply with quote

I'm new in town from North Carolina. Living in Glendale. Used to sail Topsail Island, Outerbanks (Inside and Outside) and Lake Jordan. 100L to 120L sailor. 190 lbs. 4.0m to 8.5m

I've been to Cabrillo, Leo Carillo and Venture (I think you call it C-street) on dry runs. No wind at the time. Anywhere else I should try.

I noticed yesterday and day before (Fri and Sat) Iwindsurf showed 20 mph at Cabrillo from 2 to 5 pm - is that real. I need an hour to get there and it only last 2-3 hours in the afternoon so I need to leave here at noon but the readings are never that goo at that time. Is today gonna be the same ?

Also the buoys off off Jalama beach alwyas have pretty high readings, but the wind readings on the beach are much lower. How far out are the buoys?

Whats the best source for forecasts?

Anxious to hit the water. Only weekends available right now.

Thanks for any responses.
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabrillo is sweet and perfect for windsurfing.

C-street and north for a few hundred miles is to light for fun windsurfing.

Jalama is rarely windy even if the bouys read high, they are really far out and the wind does bad things near the beach. Plus we saw a shark up there the other day.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama is usually windy and has great waves but you'll need to be an expert because the wind is fickle near shore and the waves can get crunchy. It is also quite a drive from Glendale. During the summer months are when we get the best wind at Leo Carrillo and Cabrillo as long as there is not a coastal eddy. We also get south swells in the summer which make wave sailing really nice at Leo but I weekends you have to deal with other wave sailors, surfers, and kiters and trying to fit into a slot about 100 yards wide.

When the coast is foggy and it's 90+ in Fresno then head up to Lake Isabella, near Bakersfield. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Glendale and has great flat water sailing in the 18+ mph range.

Usually July, August and September are when the local beachs work but during past years you could see 15+ winds daily in June and July and maybe 1 or 2 days in August. The weather pattern has been weird the past few years.
clivethomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jb. Good info. Much appreciated.

Hunwil, can't wait to see one.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clive,

In contrast to Hunwil1984's comments concerning windsurfing C Street and areas a few hundred miles north, I have to say we get some great wind conditions that are truly excellent for windsurfing. However, I have to be frank in admitting that the area as a whole is not a seasonal wind machine like the SF Bay area that can be tapped at will. One must be keyed into the specific conditions that make things work at different sites. Many of which do not have sensors at or very near the spots. Not always easy, but being at the right spot at the right time brings great rewards.

I have found that the wind flow/vector predictor (a java driven forcast tool) to offer some useful background that can be used to characterize wind flow directions and strengths for areas where no sensors exist.

If you're up for a bit of a drive during the late spring and summer months, you might want to try Arroyo Laguna, which is on Highway 1 just north a mile or two from the San Simeon turnoff to Hearst Castle. The two indicators that you want to monitor would be the Cape San Martin Bouy and the Piedros Blancas sensor (a lighthouse station about 4 miles north of Arroyo Laguna). There is some excellent high wind sailing that can be quite dependable. The Cape San Martin Bouy needs to have higher windspeeds (20-30 range) to make the drive worthwhile, and the wind usually starts coming in and hitting Piedros Blancas about midday/midafternoon. An extra plus is that Arroyo Laguna is wide open to south swells.
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all blowing it.

And by the way Bro- saying that you "can't wait to see one" thats just bad shark karma.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality, none of us really want to see sharks at any locale.

However, I'm totally baffled by the "You're all blowing it" comment. I like to think a bit of friendly sharing goes hand in hand with our great sport. In my opinion, there is no reason to hide anything or obscure the truth.
alexw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Wind season Reply with quote

Were you the guy I saw at Sunset Point? (Pacific Palisades - where Windsurfing was invented) Anyway, you're right on time, as the official wind season in CA starts April 1st (to Sept 30). May is when things get under way with the thermals created by inland heating - can be good at Sunset Point and Topanga which are closest to you. June through the rest of the season can be good at all the sites mentioned by previous posts.

See you there.
zephr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: From Glendale . Reply with quote

Hi - fellow glendale person . Leo was really reliable last summer from mid april to the end of sept . 5.4 to 6.5 .

I ride a 68 ltr board with a 5.4 there and have a blast most days .I weigh in around 140 lbs .
The wind normally gets going after 230 pm and goes until shutdown at around 6.30 /7.30 .

If it gets fogged in this year around june then isabella lake can be excellent for some high wind bump and jump .

Hope it's as good as last summer . If the prediction is right then the valleys will be hotter than hell again and give us that super thermal .Usually if it get's near the 100s in the valley then leo get's going . Last year as I say was excellent at leo . Smile
clivethomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for "blowing it" y'all.

Nope, that wasn't me at pacific palisades.....sorry.

I will trust you and head out sans-wind in Glendale, anticipating the thermals. Can't wait for the next weekend to try some of these places.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: