myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Panama City, FL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Panama City, FL? Reply with quote

Message originally posted by RPM7

I'm moving to Panama City, FL (the panhandle) soon and looking for other windsurfers in the area.

Anyone know about the conditions, season, and the typical gear there? And where are the best spots near there?

Thanks!
RPM7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Panama City area board suggestion? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a good board for sailing the Panama city area? I'm thinking something in the 130-150 liter range to handle a 6.5-9.0 sails. Looking for advice on a board that my wife and I can share in 12-18 knot conditions.

Thanks!
RushMarkRush

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: sailing sites Reply with quote

Check out the pcbkitesurf site for all the local launch spots......still a few windsurfers here....more towards Tallahassee....Shell Point Sailboard club.
Lots of good wind here...that's for sure.
amateur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I windsurf in Panama City. I weigh 125 lbs and about 5'5''. I use two boards 145 L and 85 L . I have 5 sails. 7.5 6.6 5.5 4.5 and 3.5. The 3.5 is used when the hurricane or tropical storm arrived. I use 6.6 and 5.5 with my 85 L board a lot. We do need weed fin here during the winter. Watch out for new kiters. They are dangerous. When it is light, I use my 7.5 m and my 145 L board for cruising and trolling for fish. I caught trouts and Spanish mackerels. I once caught a 4' shark.
See you on the water.
RPM7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Amateur,

Thanks for the great info! Look forward to sailing with ya soon. You'll have to teach me how to windsurf-fish. Laughing Have fun and catch dinner at the same time . . . sweet!
amateur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPM7... you are welcome. The north wind will blow this Thursday. I'll be at the Gulfcoast Community College early in the morning. If you get there late, the wind will change direction to WNW. Then we may have to go to different place. See you on the water.
couchbro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to windsurf a lot before I started kiting (you may still find me out on a windsurf rig from time to time). I had a 2 board quiver - formula board and a 96 L freeride board. Sails ranged from 4.5 to 9.5. I am 155, 5'9". I would say something in the 150 L range would be good for an all-rounder, but there's nothing like these new Kona's (Exocet) to take advantage of EVERY CONDITION. It can blow here, so it's necessary to have some smaller gear to take full advantage. Just really depends on how much of a wind snob you want to be ; )

Check out our shop hydrotheapywindsurfing.com. We've updated to a new commerce site and I'm currently putting our inventory on there. Lots of specials on some big boards THAT WORK for our conditions.

Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: