myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Los Angeles - who sailed today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

I sailed down at County Line. There were 3 kiters out when I got there, but no windsurfers. My wife took some photos, Ill post a link to them later.

Almost too strong for my 5.2, and then the wind suddenly dropped. Looking at the wind charts it looks like I should have gone to Cabrillo Beach, the wind looked much more consistent there.
Phil
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

A bad day of windsurfing is better than a day at work.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

Another windsurfer and I sailed inside the harbor @ Belmont, I was completely overpowered on a 4.7, and then not powered at all during the lulls. There was another windsurfer out there for a little while and it looked like there was a kiter, or someone flying a kite down at Seal Beach. It looked pretty gnarly everywhere down the coast, I drove down PCH towards Newport.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

I sailed Leo at the peak wind around 1 pm. 31 avg with gusts to 46 and on the outside Im sure it hit 50+. Needless to say it was survival only. I didnt see any kiters or windsurfers but some guys I know sailed down in Malibu and up at C street. Both places were difficult at best.

Leo would have been all time if I had had a smaller sail and the wind was a little more consistent. There was good surf.
RPM7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about your mast, Pix. We gotta get you on skinny masts! Wink

I started with a 5.0 at the bay side of Cabrillo, but was WAY overpowered. The smallest I brought was my KA Kult 4.7, so I rigged it with as much downhaul as it would take and went down from a 30cm fin to a GSport 26cm bump & jump (nice fin!), and it was still a challenge, but somewhat manageable. The gusts were so violent it was a trick to just hang on. Didnt dare let the board take off like it wanted to -- would have been some gnarly crashes. Overall it was fun and challenging.

I was wishing I had my 4.2. Looking at the graphs, it looks like Cabrillo was mild compared to Belmont, Seal, and Sunset. Yikes!
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

Too true
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

Santa Barbara too. I found this link of sailing in SB from 12/27/06 on the hot sails maui website - it looks freaking strong:

http://****.com/december_cst/index.html
rlshirey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

My friends and I sailed (survived) at Seal Beach. I was on a 4.0 initially but a gust ripped me out of the straps and thru the sail. I finished the day on a 4.7, generally overpowered. But it was the wave frequency that caused me most of the problems. They were so close together I couldnt get settled in. There were several sailors out with 3.5 to 5.0 being used. But it seemed to be a very difficult day for everyone. No kiters.
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Los Angeles - who sailed today? Reply with quote

Link to photos from 12/27/06:
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=247774&cdate=20061227
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: