myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Funds for CA Launch Sites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pthorner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

You have a chance to ask the State of California to spend money to improve your favorite launch site. The California Department of Boating and Waterways (DBW) is conducting its first-ever study of non-motorized boating in California. A major focus for DBW is to provide grants and loans for boating facilities such as launch ramps and marinas. DBW is considering providing more support to this growing boating community. As a first step in further planning and potential support for non-motorized boating, DBW seeks to understand how many non-motorized boaters there are in California, the boats they own, and where and why they boat.
Please take the time to complete the survey. DBW will evaluate the need for improvement in large part based on the responses they receive:

http://www.newpointgroup.com/dbwsurvey/

The survey asks at one point how many windsurf boards or kite boards you own. If you own more sails of kites than boards, then you should average the number of board and sail/kites in order to give them a sense of how many full sets you own.

Where the name of a waterway is asked for, you should list the site you sail at. If you know of a site that needs improvement (e.g. Third Avenue (Foster City) needing more parking), make sure you list that site and its needs.

Peter Thorner
San Francisco Boardsailing Association
sfba.org
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

If I lived or sailed there, Id be glad to oblige.

In the meantime, I had to contrast that concept to sailing in NM. There we just drive to a lake, park where the mood strikes us -- wherever a 4X4 can get us at some of the best lakes -- rig, and jump in the water. Heck, Ive parked IN the water a few times.

Different worlds.

Mike \m/
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

I started filling out the survey, than I started thinking something is fishy here. I hate being forever skeptical, but we are dealing with the government. I couldn’t help but think “why do they need to know how many boards or kayaks I have?” I just can’t help but feel that they are looking at us as a potential tax base. I’m supposed to believe the state of California has all this extra money that they need to spend on waterways?

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

Ill never forget -- nor forgive -- hearing the same question from the ranger at the booth as I entered Lake Lopez. There was no wind; I just had never seen it before, was passing through on my way to the Gorge, and wanted to pull in and eat my sandwich.

How many boards and sails do you have, sir?

I dont know . . . several boards and 6-8 sails, I suppose.

Well, I need an exact count to determine your fee.

But I just wanna eat my sandwich. Ill be outta here in 20 minutes. Why does anyone care how much gear is in my van if its not a factor?

Sir, I need an exact count.

I looked in my van, sort of counted stuff, and gave her a number.

That will be $78.00, sir.

After my involuntary snort, two things dawned on me: She wasnt joking, and I had just entered the foreign nation of Kahlifornistan.

I drove away (to an even MORE officious abuse right around the corner) , and havent been back since . . . to the STATE . . . and that was 20 years ago. There are too many better ways and places to waste money and risk abuse from officials.

Yeah, I know some state parks honcho said a few years ago that their park fee structure was prohibitive and needed revamping, but the tone was set way back then for me: How much did you earn this year? Great; Send it in.

I cant believe half the nation supports this kind of thinking.

Mike \m/
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

Lopez is not a state park. State parks do not charge per board, just an entry fee. Private or county parks are known to charge per board. That philosophy is a big ripoff. What if I dont use that board?

Coachg
jse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

What you are describing is exactly what I did 115 days this year - in and around San Francisco Bay. I dont sail lakes anyway, maybe thats why I dont understand your issues with CA.

Steve
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

Steve,

Isos is just a very high energy, opinionated guy who thinks he lives in the greatest windsurfing spot on earth. And in his mind he does.

But I do sense a little jealousy there as well. And he is not alone. When I was in the Marine Corps it seemed like the USA was treated as two countries, CA and the other 49 states.

“Jealousy you say?” Yes, jealousy. Think about it. If CA was such a horrible place, then why do so many people want to move here only to be turned away by high property values? And even with the high property values people are still moving here. If you sing the praises of where you live, then you truly love it. But if you must badmouth a place where you don’t live, than it can only be jealousy.

Northern CA isn’t a perfect place, but it sure has much to offer. Right now, I can’t think of a better place to live for a windsurfer other than maybe Hawaii. And since life for most of us is more than windsurfing, Northern Ca beats Hawaii hands down.

Coachg
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

Lets not forget SoCal. The sailing here is not bad (definitely not as good as NoCal, but I would be willing to bet better than any state that does NOT have a coastline - lightwind wavesailing still beats high wind bump and jump in my biased mind). Plus it is not far to drive to the central CA coast.

For what it is worth I filled in the survey.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

So you can go off-road 4-wheeling on the shorelines of SFBay, launching pretty much where the mood strikes you and the wind and current work best? The Delta, I can see -- and have done -- that, but its surprising and impressive for a big city anywhere.

Mike \m/
pthorner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Funds for CA Launch Sites Reply with quote

They want to know how much gear you have and how much you spend, because it can be the basis for arguing that some of the many millions of dollars raised through state bond issues should be spent on non-motorized recreation instead of having it all go to marinas and large boat ramps, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: