myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRuffus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

so it was, 20 degreees out, 2 inches of snow on the ground, donuts in the parking lot before sailing and the donuts with the truck that is.

sialed 4.7 for 45 minutes lit like a firefly, little ice on the booms but perfect conditions. I dont think the saying Too cold is a good excuse to not sail. 20 degrees was not too cold. Next time I wil try it at 10 degrees and see how that works.

I will keep you posted on what is actually Too Cold to sail. so for now, put on your wetsuit, put on your rubber gloves, quit the pissing and moaning about the cold, and get your lazy ass out on the water.

ruffus
RPM7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

Youre nuts, man! Wink Sounds like fun, but BRRRR!!

How about those new KA sails? Was that a 4.7 Kult or Kaos?
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

How did you keep your hands and feet warm?! Mine were getting numb yesterday in R.I.with 49 degrees air 47 water. I have the best booties I could find and neoprene liners, glacier gloves. scooper
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

I sailed Sunday on the Cape.....was nice air temp, no ice!....but the water is chilling down, days are going to get harder to find....
Actually I think sailing in the cold stuff is probably bad for you...not health wise, but maybe makes you less willing try stuff for fear of falling.....I was definiely going back and forth, little jumps etc.
I tried no gloves for a bit, but that didnt last
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

The cold effects most of us like that, but I saw jRuffus out at Seabrook inlet on a cold day in February and he was sailing like it was August.
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

That is definately true for me. I sail less aggressively when Im trying to avoid falling into icewater but I still think that any practise is good. Its good therapy for my winter doldrums, especially on a sunny day. It can be a kick just being at the beach and out on the water when most people are hibernating in front of the T.V. scooper
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

Never heard of Seabrook Inlet. Is it near Boston? Whats the launch like? Im trying to find some launches closer to home, (Newton), for when I only have a few hours to sail. scooper
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

Newton is very close to Pleasure Bay in South Boston. Its a circular lagoon about .8 miles across, with parking all around it. Its on the coast just about where Rt 90 hits Rt 93. West Broadway runs right down to the beach. Pleasure Bay is tidal but there is no current except on the east side near the two openings out into the harbor. Look for William J Day Blvd on MapQuest. Check the satelite photos for images.

Seabrook is just north of where MA meets NH. Its up Rt 95 to 286 E to rt 1A N. I havent sailed there much so others can give you a better review.
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: RE: SAILED NEW HAMPSHIRE FRIDAY DEC 9TH Reply with quote

Thanks, Pleasure Bay is definately on my list to try! I even heard recently that some people sail there at night because of all the light from Boston. Its only about 20 to 25 minutes from my house. It sounds like Seabrook is too far to be of much benefit to me. scooper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: