myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
local windsurfer saved! Plumb Beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andysurf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: local windsurfer saved! Plumb Beach Reply with quote

NEW YORK -- Police were called to search for a missing man in the waters off of Rockaway, 1010 WINS has learned.

At approximately 1:43 p.m. Friday, police responded to the 911 call after three men went windsurfing off the Breezy Point jetty and only two returned.

After a search by the NYPD Aviation and Scuba units, rescuers spotted the male in distress drifting in the water approximately four miles off shore. Divers were deployed and rescued the man, who was airlifted to Floyd Bennett Field and taken to a nearby hospital to be checked out, police said.

Sgt. Victor Mevo said the surfer had a wet/dry suit and appeared to be in relatively good shape. Yes he will recover. He was well-repared for the elements. The water was quite cold, and he was dressed for the conditions he was actually very lucky.

Mevo said a rip tide was going southbound out to the Atlantic, and had drawn the surfer with it.

We conducted a pretty good grid search, and it took a good hour and five minutes, hour and ten minutes just to locate him, he said describing the search. We had 2 aircrafts doing the searching, the patrol ship located him. Divers grabbed him, put him in a basket, and they hoisted him up to the helicopter.

The NYPD has confirmed the man was an off-duty firefighter.
USAM1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: RE: local windsurfer saved! Plumb Beach Reply with quote

Meneely

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: RE: local windsurfer saved! Plumb Beach Reply with quote

I always thought rip tides were near shore events. Does anyone know how prevalent these more severe rip tides are, and how to manage them?
USAM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: RE: local windsurfer saved! Plumb Beach Reply with quote

I believe in this case, the officer reported a rip tide when it was actually an outgoing tide. I agree that rip tides are usually associated with very localized near shore events. The tides around NYC can really rip at certain times. Outgoing tides there are generally southerly in direction.
Best bet is to know your site. Check the tides.

sail safe.
c226t463

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: RE: local windsurfer saved! Plumb Beach Reply with quote

know your local conditions!!..i was the one.
the wind was out of the north, the tide was going out and we sailed right near the inlet - the tide approached rush outgoing,topspeed and there was a windshadow near shore where the wind rises to cross the penisula. i dropped right into the middle of the channel and could not waterstart due to wind cancelled out by fast moving current. straight out to sea but for the graces of my sailing buddies and the NYPD helos....

trust those little feeling you hv cause i didnt like the way things were setting up as i got onto the water...
AND BUY an AERIAL FLARE, strobe light, SOLAS reflective tape on your helmet and maybe a VHF radio or some signaling device. it all seems a little too expensive and bulky to carry until you are floating out there watching the helos search for you 2 miles away!
the helo pilots said they had no way to see me in 6 foot swells until they were right above me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: