myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing near Dayton, OH?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPM7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Windsurfing near Dayton, OH? Reply with quote

Subject says it all . . . does anyone know where I can find decent windsurfing (planing conditions) near Dayton, Ohio? Please tell me theres something closer than lower lake Eerie or Lake Michigan!

I might be moving there in the near future, and I want to know if I need to start selling my gear or modify my quiver to accomodate the new conditions.

Any other info you could provide, like typical gear sizes, windy season, etc. would be cool too.

Thanks for your help!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing near Dayton, OH? Reply with quote

Ive sailed Grand Lake St. Marys, OH (Google it) once, north and a bit west of Dayton. Its big (about 2 x 6 miles), its on flat land, theres lots of shoreline access, and OH gets blown off the map in the fall beginning in Sept, according to my father-in-law who has farmed that region for 60 years. Ya go up I-75 to Wapikaneta ~ 55 miles north of Dayton, then another 15-20 miles west, maybe a fat hour altogether to get there. (Beats the 185 miles I drove from Albuquerque each afternoon I wanted to sail). It wasnt bad sailing at all. But Ill bet summers a major doldrum.

Theres also C.J. Brown Lake and Buck Creek State Park just NE of Dayton, much smaller but still looks sailable on the Park Map (Google it).

Id call the parks and inquire, and realize that even if the parks arent in the best launch spot (I dont know; I just parked by the road and went sailing), there should be plenty of other spots to launch from. When I need a place to launch, I just ask nearby homeowners for permission if I cant find a public spot. Big city or Marthas Vinyard this aint.

The Air Force continually threatened to move me to Dayton, but I always managed to fight back harder, thank goodness. Ive seen enough of that state to last me a lifetime just in my 20-30 visits there. SW Ohio aint exactly a recreational hot spot.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: