myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cape Cod Weekend Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachdoser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

Some readers seem to like a report from the Cape, so I am going to provide it. I was sailing Friday and today, Sunday. I sailed alone on Friday, although the winds picked up dramatically in the p.m. blowing in the mid twenties with gusts to 30. Today, I was out on Nantucket sound with two other sailors and a kiter. The winds in the a.m. were good, but I didnt arrive until the p.m. when they were getting rather difficult. There were two other sailors, better at the sport than I, that were complaining about being disappointed. However, I had a good time. It was my 40th day on the water with WS gear and this has been three years running Ive put in over 40 days. I know you Cali beach bums get in a lot more days of sailing, but thats pretty good for a Yank.
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

Thanks for the report! I only got out for about an hour on Friday night, at Duxbury, in dieing winds. I was wishing I could have gotten out in the better winds. Where did you sail in Nantucket sound?
beachdoser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: RE: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

We were sailing at Oregon beach in Cotuit, Sunday. Its actually best from ESE to S or sometimes SSW. The kiters like to use the beach at Poppy on the other side of the Mashpee R. Both days were very gusty. However, Friday when I was out all day saw dramatic changes. Check the wind archive for W. Falmouth, Kalmus and W. Dennis. The wind died dramatically while I was quite far from my launch. With hardly a breeze, I had to slog back when exhausted. Since we have had so little wind, my arms werent all that conditioned and the high wind blasting nearly pulled them out of the sockets!!! Dont let anyone kid you, this is a rough, demanding sport.
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

If Oregon Beach or Popponesset Beach are mostly local only spots, outsiders not encouraged, then skip this message. I dont want to intrude on anyones secret spot. Since you mentioned them they probably arent. What are the conditions like? Any waves, sandbars, or anything special? Im always looking for better places to get waves, chop etc. I was really starting to enjoy the little waves at the tip of Great Island/ Kalmus this summer until I took a fin out on a rock. Now Im back to looking for new sites for jumping/ waveriding.
flaherty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

Try West Dennis. Sail out to the small rock island, waves can build on both sides. No boulders to worry about, like Kalmus, and nearly identical wind.
The more southerly, the bigger the waves.
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

Yeah, everyone says go to West Dennis for waves but it usually seems like more of a chop hopping site to me. Maybe I just havent hit the right combo of strong wind, tide and swell. The little wave right inside the rock island would be great if it were a little bigger and longer. The chop can get big out by the fish weirs, good for jumping, but hard to work on wave riding. I love the conditions at Chapin in northwest to northeast, although I always wish the waves were a little bigger and better formed. I dont know a good site for summer southwest thermal type wind & waves.
beachdoser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: RE: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

Well, I was out again yesterday with two kiters on flat water in winds around 16-18 knots. Popponesett only exercises their privacy in the summer season. Its rather desolate otherwise. Oregon is a very small Barnstable beach and lot, but it has been attracting WSers more lately in Easterly winds. As to waves, you should go to the lower cape, the outer facing beaches in Orleans, Eastham, etc. which I have no knowledge about. If youre at Duxbury, you can sail to the barrier island and cross to the ocean side. Have you ever tried Nahant or Nantasket? Squibbenocket out on Marthas Vineyard would be the best, but you can also travel to R.I. Go to the Island Sports shop and inquire.
yellowlab

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: RE: Cape Cod Weekend Report Reply with quote

How about today! Sunday, Oct. 29, gusting to 50 around here, North Falmouth.
Not for me, let the youngsters have these conditions. Whew.
Have fun,
Jane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: