myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wave sailing in Los Angeles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

I am new to windsurfing in the LA area, though I am an experienced wave sailor. I understand most of the wavesailing happens at Leo Carillo, unless I were to drive to Jalama.

My question is, for a 200 lb guy, what size wave board and wave sails should I get to maximize wavesailing in Los Angeles. I am guessing about a 110 liter board and a 6.0 and a 7.0. Does that sound right? Who makes nice light wind waveboards?
Thanks,
Philip
carl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

The mythical 110L wave board

I would like to find a 110L bump/jump moderate wind board too. Something I could slogg on comfortably, like the little guys do.
Unfortunatly, big guy boards are a forgotten segment of the market.

As for LA, I hear Seal Beach can have some waves, no first hand info though.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

Yes, Seal Beach can get some nice waves. Also, there is County Line (Ventura/LA County), C Street, etc.. and you can always drive to San Carlos or Central/Northern CA for more wind and waves.

JP will have a Freestyle Wave 109 for 2007, which would fit what youre looking for.
gregorio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

Hi, Phillip.
Unforntunatly Cabrillo has great wind but not so great waves. Mostly close outs. Jalama has both. But a long drive and challenging to say the least. Some of the river mouth beaches have waves, and if you can catch them with wind it can be good.
As for 110 liter wave board you can try the Areo 117 or get a custom. I have a custom wave bump board from Rouge wave in Canada.
Good luck Greg.
gregorio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

Sorry Philip, I confused Leo Carrllo and Cabrillo. I just wish Leo Carrillo had more wind. It seems like it is always a little bit too light for us big guys. Thats why I got a 110 liter board to slog around on. Baja is our bestbet, cause it has both wind and waves.
Greg.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones feedback about waveboards. What about sizes for wave sails?
thanks,
Philip
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

Around 100 ltr should work for you at Leo. There is a deadspot on the very inside which you wont have a problem with while riding a wave but if you try to stay up wind on your way back out then you will notice it. Alot of the guys there ride 85-95 ltr boards but they are smaller dudes so I would think around 99 to around 105 ltrs would give you sufficient flotaion to get thru the lulls. Im 230 lbs and ride a board with 111 ltrs.
allen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

Im 200 lbs, 90-100L w/a 5.8 wave sail works fine for me. Leo can be very windy (5.0 windy at times), it gets more wind than Seal and Cabrillo when it happens which isnt too often (it was great during the heat wave). Good days will show an avg. of 22 w/gusts to 28, thats a 5.0 day for a 200 lb. guy.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

For waves; 4.7 to 5.8 usually more towards the 5.8 size but sometimes it will average 24 mph with 6 ft surf then you can rig smaller. Most of the time the wind is around 16 mph average and the surf around 1-3 feet. This summer has been better than the last 2 or 3 with some nice south swells and good thermal winds. The rule of thumb at Leo is to bring everything.
s1111

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Wave sailing in Los Angeles Reply with quote

I would never sail at Leo Carrillo, its a dirty beach with terrible crowds and the waves are total shore break and the shore break is over sharp rocks. Its really a terrible place to sail. Seal beach is much much better, warm water, beautiful sandy beaches. Hot surfer girls and a great bar right on the beach! You should skip Leo Carrillo all together and focus on Seal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: