myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterstart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

If you are the A-hole who did not acknowledge my presence after I saved your kiteboard at Rio, you know exactly what I think of you. I will always help people in distress, kiteboarders and windsurfers but I expect people to, at least, say thanks.
Do kiteboarders a favor and drop of of the sport. You will do me, a windsurfer, a great favor also.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

What happened...it would stand to reason that a measly thanks dude even to a chick windsurfer would be the automated response.
waterstart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

He got his kite all tied up in the poles at the Access (where he should not be) and he alomost hit some buddy on the beach. That guy did not get any acknowledgement either. The kiters board was floating away in the rocks. I went to pick it up so it did not get damaged. I then gave it to him.
My take on this is that some people are trying to look so cool that when everybody sees them struggling, they take it on everybody else. If on top of it, they get help, it confirms in their little minds how un-cool they are. My advise to all people who try to look cool is to laugh when they screw up. Thats the cool thing to do (and we all screw up at times).
This has nothing to do with kiteboarding but a lot to do with idiots like the one I delt with.
kogoul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

Ban the kites.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

There was a kiter yesterday in Berkeley just by the restaurant where there is a lot of windsurfers and beginners. He was goofing around, showing off, dropping the kite and annoying the heck out of everybody. Sometimes it looked like he didnt know what he was doing. I dont know if he didnt realize he was being a hazard to everybody around or if he knew but showing off was higher in the list. It was really annoying, he could have been upwind of us and having the same fun. A couple of times his lines came too close to some windsurfers including myself.

Ive met other kiters near EmeryPoint that actually helped the windsurfing community this one day on the water by pointing at me towards a board and gear floating downwind without the windsurfer. It turned out the windsurfer missed a jibe, the gear took off and he swam into the Emeryville Marina. I spent a lot of time on the water looking for a windsurfer and then decided to catch up with the board and gear, retrieve it, and land it at EmeryPoint.

He got his kite all tied up in the poles at the Access (where he should not be) and he alomost hit some buddy on the beach. That guy did not get any acknowledgement either. The kiters board was floating away in the rocks. I went to pick it up so it did not get damaged. I then gave it to him.
My take on this is that some people are trying to look so cool that when everybody sees them struggling, they take it on everybody else. If on top of it, they get help, it confirms in their little minds how un-cool they are. My advise to all people who try to look cool is to laugh when they screw up. Thats the cool thing to do (and we all screw up at times).
This has nothing to do with kiteboarding but a lot to do with idiots like the one I delt with.
windwiner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

Not to stir the pot or anything, as I am not a big fan of silly battles between Kiters and windsurfers or surfers vs. windsurfers or short boarders vs. long boarders or anything, but a week or so back I was finished with sailing for the day at Crissy and a kiter came in to land his kite (cant they figure out a way to do this with out help?)Anyway he is standing waist deep in the water patting himself on the head looking for assistance, so after a minute or two I realize none of his fellow kiters are going to help this guy out so I ran down from the parking lot and helped him land the kite. The guy proceeds to walk up and start dealing with his gear and doesnt say a word. No thanks, not even a gesture of gratitude. Like I said I don’t want to promote hostility on the water, but come on people, a little courtesy goes a long way. It is way cooler to say thank you than it is to be a jerk.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

Now thats really stoopid! Its OBVIOUSLY not the kites fault; it was just doing its job.

Ban the kiters.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

ive been thinking about this alot, like most of you, im sure. When windsurfing was in its infancy in the 80s we had many jerks/idiots in our sport too! there were fights on the beach in maui and coyote that I saw over right of way etc. One person told my brother who was standing in ankle deep water on the beach at coyote, as he was coming in, that he had the right of way! does it extend into the parking lot too? Luckily it seems nearly all of these idiots moved on to a cooler sport and left the friendly polite people, although many fewer of us, on the beach. Hopefully Kiting will evolve similarly.
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

Heres a little different perspective on the impolite kiter issues. I am and always will be a windsurfer. I am also a kiter (though only begining to be able to go out and back consistently). I have had issues with bad attitude kiters in various forms too. But As a semi kiter I have seen kiters on the beach and in the water helping each other either with kite launches, landings or board retrievals. Helping one another is an expected thing. In most cases there is little or no thanks shown. Not always but most of the time that is because the kiter in question is so rattled from his situation or focused on getting his gear cleared and safe that thanks are just assumed and no discourtousy meant. In the kite community these things (help launching, landing, board rescues, etc happen so often that the poor kiter would just have to walk around with a sandwich board on his chest with thank you written on it all the time.
Also as kiting has progressed there are some good kiters learning to self land though it will be some time before that becomes the norm.
waterstart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Kiteboarder's gratitude in Rio Reply with quote

I dont like to generalize and I am not attacking all kiters. I am saying that that specific individual was a jerk. Now if according to what you say kiteboarding is such an inconvenience, than learn to say thank you even if its to a lot of people.
In the mean time, lets share the fun of the water and lets hope that the industry learns to make the sport easier and safer and lets also hope for kiters to get a lot of training on safety...and courtesy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: