myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Vacation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Fortunately, however, unless things have changed, most of the occasional Kihei sailors sail the usual public spot north of town (I forget its name because Ive never launched there) and BAF right there. The waters south of Sunset Maui were always empty for me. Ive always had to look real hard to even see another WSer unless I was pinching up to the head of the Bay and had to cross the BAF rut. Theres a LOT of water out there.

And for you locals . . . is that sine wave thats always on the western horizon WAVES or an optical illusion? No way Im sailing west alone more than a few miles to find out; once Im downwind of West Maui I chicken out and turn around.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

That pretty much guarantees the shoreline air temps cannot go much below 78

Mike, what the heck are you talking about??? Look at tonites weather forcast for Kihei, the low is 72, in July, definatly below 78. (if youre sweating at 72 at rest, you may have some medical issues to check on).
In the winter the lows are regularly in the low 60s and ive personally seen it as low as 59 at nite and 69 in the day. This is while the ocean is still in the low 70s. The ocean temp will moderate the surface temp but the upper air currents have a big effect too (i.e. cold fronts).
There can be frost around here in SF bay on the winter nights, but the ocean usually is still around 50.
melpel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Agree with Carl - Kihei windsurfing can be good. Last August I sailed most days there as winds were blowing consistently, and I could keep the gear rigged.

One of the differences between Kanaha and Kihei is that Kanaha has more voodoo chop inside, and few people sail outside where there is large swell with light irratic chop. Kihei side typically has a more defined swell (smaller than Kanaha) that because it is regular it is easier to sail. The outside swell can be moderate in size remaining fairly smooth.

All depends on what type sailing you are looking for. Waves are best at Kanaha, down the line / bump & jump pretty good off Kihei.
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

no not really...Maui is about the same..

It does depend somewhat on where you are though..leeward or windward, which depends on how the wind is blowing as well.
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

I think the sine wave you mention is a result of maui wowie... Wink R U talking about weird wave ?

Uh, one thing I do have to mention is the presence of Mr. Toothy on the Kihei side.

Although he can be anywhere in the Hawaiian waters, Kihei side does not have a shallow reef, nor is shallow, which may be the reason why there are more visits over there.

Kihei always eeks me out regarding this...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Kiheis temps are subject to adiabatic or even dried-out tradewind breezes off the mountain, which can cool it below ambient ocean temps. But realize that 72 at dawn is a long ways from 72 at bedtime, especially inside an un-airconditioned building.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Look closely at the western ocean horizon next time youre standing on the Kihei shore on a normal tradewind day. Weve all noticed a real or illusionary sine wave there.

I wasnt aware the landlord preferred Kihei. Thats good to know! Maks me wonder how we survived all those days out there, especially now that I know urine attracts sharks as well as or better than blood. Aint no way Im gonna hold my bladder through a whole afternoons wind!

Mike \m/
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Poipu Beach
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

yes. Mr Toothy lives at the Maui Sunset and at low tide takes away fins for the fun of it. If the Sunset has waves and sideon wind it gets very crowded and very good too.
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

you will most likely have to travel to north east shores, if trades are blowing. there are places to kite on the east side such as kapaa area.

I believe someone posted places to kite in kauai previously...try search on this forum.

Poipu is south, which makes it sideoff most likely for typical winds.
which is not good for kiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: