myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Vacation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

OK: I agree. Ive stayed in Kihei several times, in places ranging from commercial concrete condos to very nice private wooden homes. Love it . . . as long as I have AC. Walk to breakfast, shopping, Star Market in your bare feet. Rig on your own grass and launch 50 feet from your kitchen, sail for hours alone, leave your gear rigged overnight, and hope the same sail works again the next day . . . or drive across the island for lighter wind and crowds that make the Hatchery on the 4th of July look downright deserted. Maybe half the time you HAVE to make the drive because Kiheis not blowing or because the two sails you rented are too big or to small. My favorite restaurant on Maui, besides Haile Maile upcountry, is in Kihei: Erics Seafood. I never met a bite I didnt love there.

Mike \m/
windwiner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Maui is all about staying in Haiku. The north shore is what its all about. Haiku is nice and quiet and you get the Hawaiiana feeling, Kihei is the Orange county of Maui. My last trip there was in April, sailed at Kanaha every afternoon of the trip. All of the rental shops are great, the sailing is awesome, the weather is great. Ah I love Maui. Have fun.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Yeah bring lots of thin t-shirts.

The heat can be annoyingly difficult at times, but it does depend a lot on where the lodging is, how its constructed, and the type of cooling they have. Many local style accomodations do not have AC, and rely on fans.

The tradewinds do keep things pretty reasonable, but when they stop, even the hard cores that live here sweat it out...like right now !!

I do have AC in the house, but dont use it much, ample fans whirling away do a pretty good job keeping me from meltdown. However I am thinking of switching on the AC in a bit to knock the temp down a few degs.

Didnt Michelle Wie just have a case of heat stroke ?
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Wow! all the pertinacious viewpoints of Maui. Maui does have many styles that will suit most people. Except maybe Mike who should concider Iceland :>) (seriously dude, I hear its windy there).

Personally, we like Kihei. My non-w.s.ing wife just loves it. (fyi, we rarely use the a/c either). It does have a more suburban feel than Haiku, but we like it that way and it still has island style too. Sailing is much better than most of the local shop employees think, it just usually comes up later than north side. If youre going in the winter, Kihei is often better than the north side. December weather is quite pleasant, weve been going late Dec for years. Comparing Kihei to Orange county is a huge streach. Obviously he hasnt been on the I405 to Orange receintly and he didnt visit the beaches at Kihei/Wailea either.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

NOW you have my attention! A few clicks show SERIOUS summertime winds -- right off the North Pole. Who rents gear in Reykjavik?

And I agree -- Kihei has better summertime sailing than MANY locals, shops, or tourists realize. Ive encountered stronger midsummer wind off Kihei than Ive ever found off Kanaha-Sprecks in April, July, August, Oct, or Dec, and sailing for days at a time on a 4.2 with NO OTHER WINDSURFERS IN SIGHT is a Maui treat often worth its smaller swell.

My problem is that Mauis windy season coincides roughly with my local season, and its tough to Leave Wind To Find Wind.

Mike \m/
jwallace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Is the weather significantly different from Kauai. Have been there three times (two of which in the summer) and it was not an issue... and I hate the heat having lived in Walnut Creek for an ungodly four years (granted, zero humity there).
melpel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Good recommendation for matching th efamily needs, but Napili to windsurfing is quite a long trek. A 45 minute drive sounds optimistic, and traffic can be bad through that area (passing Lahiana). I suspect the length of teh drive will severely limit your ability to sail as it will be family or sailing - not both.

We have the same situation - I sail, wife and kids do not. We stay in Kihei as you can sail Kihei, Kanaha is 20 minutes away, and the condos have the family setting. I get in a 2 hour session, and am back in 3 hours total so we can do family things as well.

With that said - many places in Kihei are more resort like where Napili has the 2 story condos.

We keep a number of Maui articles and photos online at www.SunsetMaui.com - that will give a feel for one of the options there...

Feel free to contact me direct through the site if looking for other Maui info.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

The summer ocean temp out there (i.e., the central tropic Pacific) is about 78 degrees. That pretty much guarantees the shoreline air temps cannot go much below 78, and solar heating promises higher temps 78 most of the summer.

The ocean there is also wet. That pretty much guarantees fairly high humidities except maybe on the lee (S-SW) sides of the mountains (e.g., Kihei).

Moist air (ocean . . . remember?) climbing mountains sheds its excess humidity in the form of rain or fog at 100% humidity (e.g., the east sides of those same mountains). Think upcountry.

The rest, and the exceptions, are localized nuances. Its the tropics, and its summer; its going to feel hot and humid unless you live in Houston, Savanna, Tallahassee, Corpus Christi, etc. wihout air conditioning, in which case you wont care. Just accept that fact that it will be hot, chalk it up to the price of tropical winds, dress for it, and enjoy sailing in just board shorts, which I cant do in the gorge or even New Mexico.

Those who say It cools off at night also say It cools off in the winter. I dont know about Jan & Feb, but I surely didnt notice much sea level temperature difference between August and December. Both times, same Kihei lodging, I got sweaty walking 200 feet to the grocery store every day at 7:AM wearing just board shorts and a watch.

But, then, I know people who like living in Phoenix or Florida -- the eastern 2/3 of the
U.S., for that matter. Wink To each his own. Heck, I put up with the gorges hot spells to live here . . . but I also have AC available.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

yes Haiku, Kuau, and the surrounding areas are very nice and country-ish.

yet I wouldnt drop Kihei down so far...Ive lived in Orange Co (Tustin) and stayed in Kihei a few times. Kihei is *way* better than OC !!

I did enjoy staying in Kihei, and the sailing can be fun..albeit gusty and sideoff frequently. Although usually uncrowded, except when Kanaha is light, then they all flock to Kihei.

You have more choices of restaurants and stores on the kihei side. But it can be a bit much...
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

it does cool down in the winter ! I swear it does !! I even have to drag out a light jacket at times. The ocean temp feels colder too..esp when the North winds blow. BRRRR !! I know you are laughing...but its true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: