myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge sensor correlation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

Ive noticed quite a bit of variation in the Gorge windspeed sensors. I use Swell City as a reference (I sail at the Hatchery):

Spot Reported Sail
=======================
Hatch 19-21MPH 5.0m
Steve 21-23MPH 5.0m
Dougs 17-19MPH 5.0m
Mary 19-21MPH 5.0m

As you can see by the above data it appears that Stevenson over-reports by about 2MPH, while Dougs under-reports by about 2MPH. Maryhill seems to be about the same as the Hatchery.
bobg
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

Most likely dude to different rates ov water flowing downriver, as stevenson has the least amount of river current
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

Arlington: 27-29 mph (at my 193 pounds)

Mike \m/
starfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

I weigh 200 and just say no to 5.0. This the gorge after all. And please no heckling from isobars. jim
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

Why should I heckle, given that Im (almost) in your court? While I enjoy 5.2 sailing (i.e., when most guys are on 4.2s and 4.7s), but it takes good conditions (read: SWELL) to get me on my 5.7. That starts in the low 20s at Arlington IF the wind speed and direction are steady.

Mike \m/
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

Its interesting - the Gorge is the only place I know that has a lot of this wind snob thing going on. Today I went to the Hatchery it was blowing about 15MPH and everyone was sitting around. I went out on my 120L + 7.2m and I was planing and cutting jibes in no time. Eventually the wind came up and I switched to 5.7m and finally some other folks joined me on the water. Id much rather sail my 4.0m or 4.5m, but as long as I can plane, Id rather be out on the water.
starfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

You are right we are wind snobs. I used to sail 6.7 and loved it at larkspur. Then I started sailing 5.5 at crissy. And then 4.7 at the north tower. It will never be the same. Now it takes 4.2 to raise my heart beat. But I really live in the gorge for the single track...jim just say no to 5.0
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge sensor correlation Reply with quote

MANY Gorge sailors wont even sail their 4.5s if theres no organized swell. Their allure is terrain, not planing.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: