myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fiberspar mast with Neil Pryde sails?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roginski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Fiberspar mast with Neil Pryde sails? Reply with quote

My Neil Pryde X5 mast
broke last week and Im
shopping for a replacement.
Does anyone know if
a Fiberspar Reflex mast will work with Neil Pryde sails?
Specifically I am thinking
of getting a Fiberspar Reflex 4800 QT 460cm, to use with a Neil Pryde V6 6.5m.

Any other recommendations for a new mast? Is the Reflex 7000 worth the price (almost $600)?
farabi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Fiberspar mast with Neil Pryde sails? Reply with quote

100% carbon mast is worth every cent you spend on it. try looking for a closeout, but dont get used one.

my friend had a problem with fiberspare mast on rs4 sail because its diameter is slightly bigger than that of NP and cams were not rotating smoothely. but he had no problems with v6
PatrickDietz00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: RE: Fiberspar mast with Neil Pryde sails? Reply with quote

Bruce Peterson gave a sail tuning clinic and said God help you if you have a Neil Pryde sail and not a Neil Pryde mast. Apparently they have different characteristics than fiberspar/powerex etc, so it wont maximize your sails efficiency and use. Keep in mind that thats the opinion of a perfectionist on sail design. Im sure I wouldnt notice a difference between the two masts, but if youre good you might.
wiamea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Fiberspar mast with Neil Pryde sails? Reply with quote

go all carbon as stated above if the sails and engine the mast would be the transmission...I dont know much about fiberspar mast, Ive never had a problem w/ there booms....GL
Rube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Fiberspar mast with Neil Pryde sails? Reply with quote

I use both a 400cm Neil Pryde Mast(X5) and Fiberspar RDM Tidal Wave on my Neil Pryde Zone and Core Sails (4.1 and 4.5) pretty much interchangably. Athough they do rig a bit differently, I dont notice a huge difference in performance when sailing, but I try not to fuss with my gear too much. Im sure that using the recommended mast would be optimal (especially in the opinion of a sail designer) but I cant tell the difference when sailing it, plus I prefer the way the RDM handles when grabbing the mast when it gets desperate in the waves.

Just my experience / thoughts. Hope this helps.

R
Sailmunster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Fiberspar mast with Neil Pryde sails? Reply with quote

Im sure itll work just fine.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: