myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge cell recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wander2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

ok, ok, I give- since the pager is only working when Im in Portland but NOT Hood River I guess Ill have to fork it over for a full service cell (as opposed to my $10/50 min a mo.)so I can use one of the other options. Can anyone vouch for a vendor with range out to Roosevelt, or at least the Wall; and maybe to the south coast? I know Mike had a posting somewhere but I cant find it.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

iW reports that Cingular covers the Gorge the best, so I got Cingular. Ive found only one spot along the Columbia from the Pacific to the Snake (~300 miles upriver) that I cannot receive calls and weather data and plug my PC into my phone and go fully online while sitting on the ground at the beach, all self powered; its in the canyon where the Columbia turns north at Port Kelley. Saves me a LOT of gas, helps me rig and tune my sail, and catches more wind. Priceless!

Mike \m/
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

Ive had good luck with Cingular in the Gorge with iWindsurf. There are a couple of coverage holes on the way to Hood River - but they are minor. In general it works well around Stevenson, Hood River, Dougs/Rowena, Maryhill. I havent been out as far as Roosevelt in a while but I think it works there too.
wander2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

Thanks, looking at their service options now, and the new phones have so many bells and whistles to play with!
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

Go for the new cell phone with the wireless web, you wont regret it.
I also have Cingular with the basic free Nokia phone and the cheapest web plan. It works great.
Even before the recent troubles, the pager had spotty reception in Stevenson and no signal at The Wall. The Cingular phone works great at both places. No more wondering whats happening elsewhere once you drive past The Dalles.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

Dont overlook the full pocket-sized PCs such as Cingulars 8125.
wsmike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

I thought Id ad some advice for what NOT to go for, since everything else here was so positive. I have Verizon and it is absolutely useless in the gorge, and the coast south of Florence. I get reception, and can use wireless web up untill about 15 miles west of Hood River. Then its all guesswork, or you can get the Text alerts if you want to, but on a windy day, with reports every 1/2 hour for every covered site in the gorge, youre looking at a S-Load of messages. I get 100/month free, but that would quicly get used at that rate.

Let me also say briefly that the coast coverage is also equally useless if you go south of Florence, exact same story. No wireless web, only text messages.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

Yup, same with me. I have Verizon and I cant use the wireless web which is a complete bummer. I end up going to the Hood River public library in the mornings and checking wind and forecasts.

-Tim
pablomerc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge cell recommendations? Reply with quote

Same experience as Mike - i.e., Cingular seems to work everywhere in da Gorge - both voice and web access. Most noticible service variance between locations seems to be transmission speed (I assume that depends on distance to nearest tower).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: