myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ideal Board Quiver Midwest?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GShannon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Ideal Board Quiver Midwest? Reply with quote

I am looking for board and sail recommendations for sailing on Lake Michigan in the Chicago area... most likely Evanston / Wilmette area.

My current low wind gear is 115 L and a 7.5 Retro, but I am thinking I need to supersize to account for the variability of midwest wind.

Thoughts?
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: RE: Ideal Board Quiver Midwest? Reply with quote

What do you mean by supersize? Bigger board, bigger sail, or both? BAF sailing or long distance cruising? Is the water flat or choppy where you will be sailing? What do you weigh? Makes a big difference.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Ideal Board Quiver Midwest? Reply with quote

Search Google for Evanston windsurfing club.
They have a nice website with alot of info.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Ideal Board Quiver Midwest? Reply with quote

I live up the coast from you near Grand Haven. Im 190lbs and my quiver is as follows:

--Mistral One Design, 9.0 Sail. Have contemplated getting a formula kit, but I love my longboard...so no need.

--Naish Supercross 112 Liters. Use it with a 7.5 and marginal 6.0 where I need the extra boost.

--AHD mX 90 Liters. Use it quite a bit powered with a 6.0. Also is nice with the 5.2....sketchy with the 4.2 but good for the few days we get 4.2.

Lots of people have 9.5s and big boards for the 10-15s we get, but that schtuffs expensive. I prefer to stay on the longboard with the 7.5, messing around doing freestyle...then when the afternoon thermals kick in I throw the 7.5 on the 112 liter supercross and take off. I know I spend more T.O.W than most people while they fudge around with their stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: