myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How badly injured?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: RE: How badly injured? Reply with quote

2 years ago during low tide at 3rd Ave as I was about 50 yards from the launch walkway, I put my back foot down and gaffed my big toe on something. Severed it down to the bone. Luckily all those nurses and doctors windsurf down there so they wrapped gauze around it and drove me to Mills-Peninsula Hospital. 12 stitches and 3 ibuprofen later I was driving my stick shift home. Not much but it was MY big toe.
pgaudette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: RE: How badly injured? Reply with quote

Tib fractures are nasty. Broke my tib/fib last august while surfing on a closeout wave. No hardware but 6 mos to heal and still dealing with rehab issues.
Paul G
vadler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: RE: How badly injured? Reply with quote

I remember that injury. That was pretty bloody. You even had booties on if I remember correctly.
hildebra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: RE: How badly injured? Reply with quote

Broken right foot (metatarsals) from getting front foot caught in strap on an OPd duck jibe off of TI (seems pretty common from other posts). No health insurance meant no treatment -- later found out I needed surgery and pins n screws, etc., but too late now. Now I live with the pain; not severe or debilitating, but annoying for sure. I sailed the very next day, as any of us would right? Ibuprofen keeps us on the water.

Jim
mastfoot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: RE: How badly injured? Reply with quote

had a stingray peirce my foot stigmata style in 04 worst part was laying on the beach in pain in my black wetsuit and Greenpeace activist were trying to roll me back in (really must lose weight
Sailmunster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: RE: How badly injured? Reply with quote

On a 5.6 day at Seal Beach I stuck the nose of my 92 Screamer in a wave after getting some air. Got wheeled around while my right foot was jammed in the strap, resulting in a borken fibula. I could not sail back, so I swam in, where some surfers heped me and my gear out of the water - thanks dudes. While swimming I could feel the fib slapping around in my leg. Some cool dude in an old rusty van full of windsurfing equipment gave me a ride back to the launch site - thanks surf dog. Then my lovely wife showed up, with the kids, as I rolled in. To Kaiser I went - thanks honey. While I still love to catch air, I no longer use a wheeled harness bar, really appreciate boards with forward rocker, like my F2 Ride and my JP Free Move, and always keep my feet loose - not to far into the straps.
theq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: RE: How badly injured? Reply with quote

Well, last year I was riding a sizable wave at Leo Carillo. I was all alone on it until some clown decided to drop in behind me and start riding. I got a couple of nice turns in but was hesitant to cutback, as the jumper was behind me. I figured that it was too dangerous to continue riding so I kicked out. As I did, I went slightly airborne and went down a bit awkwardly, with my left leg knifing into the water but my inner right foot hangs up on the board while Im still heading down. Lower leg goes outward relative to knee, I feel/hear pop, followed by a dull ache in the knee. Moderately sprained MCL, sprained ACL, and torn meniscus. I had 30% of my meniscus removed and suffered some nerve damage during surgery. Thanks doc. Fortunately the nerve pain went away after 8 months of healing. I was able to do therapy only because I found a great supplement called Wobenzym N. It somehow killed the intense burn of the nerve damage. Without it I dont what Id have done.
Today, 10 months later, Im sailing again. But, Im still a bit tentative on jibes and jumps. Now, if only this weird monsunal moisture will get the heck out of So. Cal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: