myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tm00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

In NYS it is a State law. Seen it enforced on Lake Champlain. Kind of strange to see a windsufer pulled over by the sheriff and handed a ticket (in a baggie).
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

agree with wmp. there is much you can do to keep from losing your equipment- never had it happen in 20 years of sailing sf bay, maui etc. Did you ever notice that most windsurfers dont wear PFDs but the ones that do always tell us about how they do wear them and how much safer they are. PFDs get in the way period, end of story.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

on the other hand I do wear a helmet except in very light winds. The helmet once saved me from facial surgery and possible head trauma in maui in very high winds.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

PFDs yes, but many float vests are unnoticeable.

Ive lost gear six times:
1. Big gear, rig landed on board and sailed away much faster than sprinting speed. I just swam after it at a comfortable speed (inland lake) and found it beached unharmed on a sandy beach 20 feet wide a mile downwind . . . surrounded by rocky cliffs for hundreds of yards on both sides.
2. Failed universal. A bud caught the runaway board (Gorge).
3. Failed universal; board took off nearly planing in high winds, I abandoned the rig and swam ashore. Got em both back after the storm blew itself out; the board was 30 feet above the shore, destroyed. (Lake)
4. Sailing in high winds 13 days after major cranial surgery, couldnt walk, could almost sail, but couldnt swim fast without puking from vertigo. Fell off, couldnt catch gear, let it go and just followed at my own pace. Other than scaring my buds who saw my gear drift by, no big deal. (Lake)
5. Abandoned turtled powerboat in Gorge. Swam ashore, sheriff took me out in their river boat to find and secure my boat before it got rammed.
6. Threw away a new sail to save my raggedy ass from being breezed away after dark after strong offshore winds puked in big, remote lake. Baaaaarely caught the last spit of land before heading out into the open lake for the night.

You can lose anything if you try hard enough and long enough.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

Ive never perceived any interference from a good float vest. I HAVE perceived very valuable -- maybe vital -- assistance from them several times, not even counting the 100-200 times a day it allows me to breathe while water starting and the superficial pain it eliminates when I land flat on my back or rib cage.

Mike \m/
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

I love my float vest as well. The problem for me at work is it is not Coast Guard approved, so the school wont let me wear it. I also wish it came with a zippered pouch like my PFD. Very useful.

The funny thing about PFDs is they are required on a boat, but you dont have to wear them. And here in northern CA, 9 out of 10 people who drown were swimming. You cant help but wonder why they dont require PFDs for swimmers. They are the ones that need it.

Coachg
untwed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

Id like to thank everyone on the forum for their input. For me, some sort of PFD is going to be mandatory for awhile. I dont know that coast guard approved would be necessary. It was mentioned earlier that sometimes its good to be able to dive (in front of a barge or an errant windrider, but I personnally have never been in such a situation). I am definatly out of shape, but i dint think I was THAT bad.
faller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

the problem with that concept is that state laws supersede USCG rules, and many states DO require us to wear PFD. You may not be aware of it, but those laws exist. Idaho and Hawaii were the only states that have no rules regarding PFDs. Such laws are often not enforced however.
timwnitram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

Holy smokes man, you must have some amazing pain tolerance. Ive heard that cracked ribs are one of the most painful injuries you can get.

-Tim
ducks007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

The current is extra strong this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: