myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

Ever since I began windsurfing Ive been using a waist harness, and really liked the ease of transitoining and such. Last year I bought a DaKine Thermoform and like it very much. Only the problem is, after a certain amount of sailing it tends to ride up, turning it into a chest harness, and causing my back to cramp up. Aside from stopping all presses, and coming to a full stop to readjust the thing, is there any way to be sure that the harness doesnt inch its way up like that?
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

I use the same harness.
Like it...I just put it on super snug at the begining. Tight on the big velcro, and then tighter on the two side elastic/ To the point of bad breathing, but it loosens a bit as the velcro tightens
arborrider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

When I replaced the Dakine Thermoform with the latest model couple seasons ago, the size S seemed a little larger than the old size S harness. The harness would creep up a little even with the primary & PowerBelt cinched to max tightness. Started wearing a neovest (2mm?). Solved the problem plus provided some impact protection. Maybe the next size down. Maybe another model or manufacture.
jpf18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

Besides the boom height and harness length:
Did you try to adjust the power belt velcro adjustments close to the thermoform piece? Pull them closer for a snug fit prior to latching. I make small adjustsments for transitions from full suit to spring suit to skin and back.
wsmike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

Ok, well I was at my ropes end (so to speak) on this one. Thanks for all the ideas, Ill be giving them a try next time. I like the lower booms idea, I think I tend to have it too high because Im used to light wind sailing. Doing that in the gorge is not the best though. Cheers!
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: RE: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

I had the same problem after sailing years with a seat, then going to a waist. a few years ago. I hate to say it, but the reason the harness rode up on me was all me. I had a bad stance from sitting all those years.
If you still have the problem after trying some of the sugestions already made try this.
When youre sailing remember youre not in a seat anymore and really keep your shoulders back and hips in. This is propper stance and youll plane much sooner as well.

After switching my stance a bit, Ive never had that problem again with any waist harness.

Hope this helps,

Mike
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

Well, I had a chance to get on the water and test it. With a lower boom, that seems to make all the difference. Ill watch my sailing stance next time too.
jayh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Waist Harness: Ride Up...Solutions? Reply with quote

Its usually a stance issue. Straight body, lean out. If you lower your booms too much you will bounce out of your lines in really rough water, and then find that you have to squat to get back in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: