myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lessons at the gorge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbthyme

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: lessons at the gorge? Reply with quote

ive done a bit of searching on the web and it looks like theres plenty of places to choose from. Does anyone have any suggestions for preffered places to take some beginner lessons? ive never been to hood river but im going with my girlfriend in the middle/end of june. i know thats a bit early but that is the time weve got. I figure theres plenty of other things todo too Smile Im hoping to get her some windsurfing lessons while we are there. also if she were to really get into it and took a bunch of lessons, what kind of gear should i bring for her to use after shes started to get the hang of it? I was thinking it might be easier to just pickup something there for her to use then lug any larger gear all the way from the east coast.. thanks! justin
loikiws

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: RE: lessons at the gorge? Reply with quote

For first-timer lessons Id go with Big Winds. They, as well as a couple of other outfits, do such lessons at The Hook, which nowadays is pretty much the only place for beginner lessons. I did this years ago, and have since then put others through it. You move to outside the west end of the hook for waist-deep beach- and waterstart lessons and practice.

Dont bother bringing gear for her -- too much of a hassle, and the lesson providers have good/appropriate big gear. I also believe they have some deal where you can use/rent their beginner gear there on-site at The Hook if youve done a few lessons with them.

-mat
pacspeed

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: RE: lessons at the gorge? Reply with quote

The shops have also started doing rentals, demos, and lessons out of box vans at the Event Site. This is a much nicer venue than the Hook, IMO. They will be down there pretty much every day by mid-june. You wont have any problems getting lessons or gear, definitely dont bother bringing your stuff w/ you unless youre here long enough that the equation of airline fees vs. rental charges is really compelling.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: RE: lessons at the gorge? Reply with quote

Id recommend Hood River WaterPlay for beginnner lessons. They have their own private beach so you dont have to worry about getting run over at the Event Site or The Hook (which isnt a very nice place to hang out). You dont need to bring anything - they supply gear, wetsuit, booties, etc. June is a great month in the Gorge. Enjoy.
bharrisks

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: RE: lessons at the gorge? Reply with quote

Last edited by bharrisks on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
jbthyme

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: RE: lessons at the gorge? Reply with quote

thanks so much for responding Smile I like the lesson structure of Big Winds better then Hood River Waterplay. What do you think about the Official U.S. Sailing program vs the custom ones? Waterplay is the U.S Sailing program.. One really nice thing that Hood River Waterplay provides is their T.O.W. Club. I guess after you go through their level 1 course, you can use their beginner gear for free anytime. That would be really awsome. thanks again, justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: