myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Flying Nortwest to Maui
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarryW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

Im flying to Maui in June on Northwest Airlines and Im wondering if anyone has experience with regards to bringing gear? Thanks
arborrider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

Unless you are planning an extended stay its not worth the hassle, anxiety(lost or damaged gear) and cost. Last couple times I flew to Maui via NWA through MSP required a change in planes in HNL. Prebook your rentals and save $$. Ive used ExtremeSportMaui. Friends have used HawaiiIslandSports & the Simmer Shop. We were all very happy. Wide choice of gear for any condtion on Maui. Plus chance to try out new different gear. Ended up purchasing a board I never considered buying after sailing 14 straight 4.0 days on it.
trburl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

Rent from Simmer, contact Keith Holland. He provides great service and excellent product/local knowledge. Plus, its in Paia..... Extreme Sports Maui has been closed for a few years. If you are there for more than two weeks bring your gear. Less than two weeks, rent for sure. Baggage for windsurf gear has gone up a lot in the last year. Whatever you do, make sure your bag doesnt weigh more than 75 lbs!!!! Even that may cost you on Northwest.
rager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

Im a Gorge sailor and went to Maui last May with friends who go frequently... the consensus is that with all the great gear available to rent in Maui and the cost and hassle of hauling your own better to rent. Find the shop that rents gear you like and go for it. You can get a better deal if you combine car and gear rental and friendliness is appreciated by the locals...
GarryW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

spyder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

they are just as bad or worse. rent..
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

I have gone a handful of times both with and without gear. My thoughts:

Gear rental prices, in my opinion, are just too high period, regardless of the length of your stay. It’s not so much that I’m cheap ( I swear, I’m not), it just seemed like a rip to rent what I already own and could have brought with me. Even with the cost of paying extra to transport the stuff I did bring, my total rental costs were less than if I rented a full rig and board. Some might think the inconvenience of schlepping is worth renting, but that does not bother me.

Last time I went, I brought over all my stuff except my boards which are too small for Maui. Worked out great for me, especially having my own booms and harness lines. A friend who went with me rented a full rig but was very disappointed, at first. He was not able to get a board he liked until 5 days into our 10 day trip. In fact, we noted that the inventory of rental boards at all the big shops was only OK.

Second, if you look at previous posts or even call the airlines, you rarely get the same answer twice about gear rules and prices. I have the answer. Go to your airline’s web page, print out the “Contract of Carriage” (a pretty long document full of legalese) and be sure to carry it with you when you travel.

In my case, the rules spelled out the weight and size limits and list the charges for flying with certain types of gear. Alaska Airline rules (airline for 1st leg of my trip) distinguish between “surfing” and “windsurfing” equipment. Believe it or not, windsurfing equipment is exempt from a lot of the weight and size rules to a greater extent than is surfing equipment, which I was stoked to learn. Also in my case, the rules note a flat fee of $75 for windsurfing equipment, which I gladly paid. Interesting, while leaving Maui, the ticket counter staff tried to charge me $150 for my gear for a one-way flight back home. I pulled out the Contract, showed it to them (they were pissed), but they backed off and let me go paying just the $75.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

Even the $150 to ship it is still less than the $280 per week rental fee that Simmer charges. I think Id schlep my gear over there if I planned on sailing the whole time I was there. If I was going to just sail a day or two and maybe SCUBA on the other days then I would definitly rent.
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

what about the $100 ding repair when the airlines screws up your board ? I have heard countless stories of damage with the airlines.

I always liked trying out the new gear, since my stuff always seemed to be a few seasons old. I never had the right stuff for Maui sailing anyway.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: RE: Flying Nortwest to Maui Reply with quote

Yup, Im with you there Spyder! I bring my own harness lines and fins. Good fins at rental shops are hard to find because renters tend to ding them up. Fits right in my luggage so no extra cost.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: