myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
You DO know the eastern Gorge is going off, right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: You DO know the eastern Gorge is going off, right? Reply with quote

My buds who dont mind wearing gloves and booties have been getting in a lot of sailing out east over the past week, and Saturday should be the crown jewel, with wind speeds into the 50s. The air temps have been in the 50s, under totally clear skies some days.

Mike \m/
forwards

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: RE: You DO know the eastern Gorge is going off, ri Reply with quote

I figured as much, but opted for puget sound sailing on 3.7/4.2 and sunday powder. Tough when you live in a place with so many options! would be interesting to get a report on egorge water temps and if it is ice-cream headache time if you biff. Sound water temps seemed to be in the mid-40s and comfortable. Big days at 3mile and roosevelt are hard to beat with the house-size swell that sometimes sets up.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: RE: You DO know the eastern Gorge is going off, ri Reply with quote

39 degrees ... about 7-8 degrees below my limit. The headache is preventable with neoprene, but the hands are another story for me.

As for house-size ... well, maybe TENT size. Reports of mast-high swells have never been verified in the 14 years Ive sailed out east, approaching year-round the last seven years.

Mike \m/
forwards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: RE: You DO know the eastern Gorge is going off, ri Reply with quote

I verified the house-size swell one fall day at least 10 years ago at 3-mile where it was sub 3.0 and we were able to lauch from the now-closed far west OR launch, across from the island on the WA side. Two of us found river-wide long- period huge swells setting up that were unbelieveable. Just the two of us sailing, until we hooked up with Victor who launched from the WA side.

Wierd about swell setup there... about 3-4 years ago end-sept there was a 1-day 3-mile blow where I had to flatten my 2.8, white smoke starting, like you would see at rooster on big E-days, and point break ridable waves at the western most launch. Mast high for sure, but more chaotic than the epic day, and not the regenerative river wide swells like the time before.
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: RE: You DO know the eastern Gorge is going off, ri Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember that epic day at 3-mile. If its the same day, it was when the sunset turned the river to a bright gold color, liquid spray glowed like it was fire, looked surreal with the clouds glowing gold as well. Whew-eee... Ill never forget that day !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: