myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge in April???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polarbear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

Im considering driving up to the Gorge around April 15th for an early season windsurfing trip. What do guys think of it? Is it too risky for no wind/strong currents/cold waters? Should I go to Lake Floras/Coast instead? Or is the Bay Area (home) a better option at this time of the year? In April 2005, I got 22/30 days out on the Bay, so I know Ill be windsurfing if I just stay home. But a change of scenery at this time of year would be nice:-)

Thanks!
pacspeed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

Pretty pointless,Id say. The water will be 40 degrees, the wind may blow 10 days in April, probably all out east, definitely gusty and unstable. Rain is highly likely in Hood River. The OR coast is not really reliable in April either, and is even more likely to be socked in rain/fog.
Youd be much better served sailing on the C. Calif coast at that time of year, Id guess, spring is the time for ripping frontals and nice weather, isnt it?
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

April can be windy in the Gorge, especially out east. However, theres been some no wind Aprils (last year). Successful Gorge trips are always about being spontaneous and flexible, its feast or famine here. When the feast is on, make the trip.... otherwise sail elsewhere. Check the Gorge wind trends, youll figure it out.
hchapp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

The water is FREAKIN cold in April!!! But hey, your the polarbear, no?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

April is major hit and miss time because the wind then is all cold fronts, and the vast majority of any good sailing then -- presuming there is any -- is way out east. Even if the corridor does get wind, the weather is usually fairly -- maybe outright -- LOUSY. It can blow extremely hard and fairly often out east, or it can just get some breezy days and little else. One thing is certain: what wind there is in April will be very gusty even by Gorge standards, and is often short-lived -- just a day or two or even just hours. A dry suit is mandatory in my book, because a one-mile swim in 45-degree water is not smart in anything less. Im seldom in bare feet (47 degrees) until May.

Current is never an issue except maybe at Rufus/The Wall/Maryhill. In fact, the current has been weak for years except during spring runoff at that stretch. I believe the light current has cost us swell the past several drought years. There is virtually no current way out east any time.

If youre driving up from central OR, watch the forecasts and give it a shot. If youre driving several hours worth, I wouldnt bother unless youre desperate, bored, retired, enjoy wearing a dry suit/ hood/ booties/ gloves, AND dont mind getting skunked. (Of course, the latter is easily possible ANY month of the year in just a one-week trip.)

Mike \m/
polarbear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

Central Coast is what I did last year at that time. I got 3 decent days out of 7, but I did stick around Arroyo L. and did not make it further south to Jalama. So, that may be what Ill do this year and keep the Gorge for August Smile

Thanks everyone for the info!
trburl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

Whatever..... April can be exceptional if you are a core sailor. Its not that cold. I wear a new Oneil 5/3 in March with booties/hood. By April its the 5/3 only. Im one of those skinny mofos that gets cold when its wet/windy. If I can deal, you can deal with April in the Gorge. If the forecast looks good come on up. Those Nuclear winds everyone talks about sure seem to be happening in April/May. If it looks good down there, Im south bound. Nothing up here beats D-Port for shaky early season wavesailing. No shorepound es bueno!!!
GuyT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Gorge in April??? Reply with quote

polarbear wrote:
Central Coast is what I did last year at that time. I got 3 decent days out of 7, but I did stick around Arroyo L. and did not make it further south to Jalama. So, that may be what Ill do this year and keep the Gorge for August Smile

Thanks everyone for the info!

Doing some work in April is also very good.
Wink
Guyt
J_McV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up any misconceptions. Floras lake water temp is now around 60, I was in it yesterday and Will took a reading, the air was about the same as I sailed a 4.7 in south wind. The ocean is around 50. The south coast is a lot different than the north. More wind, more sun, more often. I've had 12 days of north wind at Cape Sebastian and the Rock in the past month. It will only get better from here on.
Having said that if I were you I would be working the central coast of Cali now because it's your time. You might as well wait till the gloom hits before you come up here.
But do come up sometime.
Jeff
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with others, hit and miss in the Gorge in April. Forecasts change on a dime so even if you have a nukin forecast 3 or 2 or 1 days out, the morning of it can fall apart and you'll end up hiking or biking which isn't bad but not worth flying up from SF, or driving 11 hours.

If I were you, stick with what you've got...22 out of 30 ain't bad I'd say you'd decrease your odds of wind to maybe 10 out of 30, and the quality of wind, temperature of water, and amount of driving to find the wind is all going to tip the scale. Wait it out, the gorge will kick in in a month or two then its a safe bet, whereas now it would be risky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: