myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Gorge Reply with quote

I am going to the Gorge this summer and trying to get a handle on how best to do the Gorge. Im thinking about flying into Portland, renting a car (with rack) and renting gear in the Gorge. Any tips for a gorge first timer?
forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

Definitely fly into PDX, and rent car w/rack as you indicated. Lots of rental options.. gorge surf shop, windance, bigwinds, and stormwarning all rent good stuff and rentals will give you chance to demo current gear. Camping available in HR (hood river) tucker park which is quiet, and in OR at viento and memaloose state parks on I84 though can be noisy since close to I84 and train tracks. If wind blows out east can camp in WA maryhill state park, or primitive camp further E at roosevelt park. Best sailing conditions dictate camping spot, either in-corridor (camp around HR), or out-east (maryhill or roosevelt). Coin-op showers at HR marina, or at state parks. Drive distance out-east to HR +/- 60miles, so possible to stay near HR and make daily trips to wind. Restaurant options more ltd out east, esp roosevelt. If you prefer civilized accommodations, others should advise options as we live in our camper van and do wknds driving from SEA.

You may want to rent iwindsurf pager from gear shop to track wind condns, or iwindsurf via cell phone if you have cingular/att cell phone (no verizon).

Windy season generally may thru end-aug, though can get no-wind when PDX gets hot, so consider alternative option for OR central or scoast sailing if a 2/3-day hot pattern sets-up. June/July pretty reliable. Aug+May can be good too, though hot coast pattern more likely august. Sept gets iffy and not recommended.
gorgegeezer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

Very good advice from Forwards. The weather and the sailing are really best in July - Aug. In May and June the snow melt water is cold and the current can be swift if a lot of water is being spilled from the dams. Ask around for info, the regular sailors are friendly. Be realistic when telling people what you are looking for. The strongest wind and biggest waves? or something more mellow. Plan on staying for a week at least. The wind comes and goes. It will most likely be really windy a few days. Lastly, check for barges often. Those things can sneek up on you.
gorgegeezer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

I have only noticed vans and RVs as rentals in the Gorge. I dont recall seeing a rental car with a roof. So you could check with the rental company on that one
allen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

The board shops provide the racks. Rent a Subaru Outback. Its the Oregon state car, there are a ton of them for rent and you can fit all your stuff inside. And dont say you need room for your girlfriend. No one brings their girlfriend to the Gorge what w/all those wild sexy women in Hood River.........
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

Good advice. A couple of things I might add. Get a hold of the book at Big Winds called Curious Gorge that has great hikes for non-windy days. There is great mountain biking, hikes, and cool swimming holes that are great on non-windy days. I drive up from SF every year and spend 10 days. Ive never camped, but have enjoyed staying at the Gorge View B+B when I was solo and renting a house when I was with a group. Stay near Hood River. Lots of good dining and after sailing options. July and August are the best combo or wind and heat.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

Pretty much any rental car company has SUVs available now for barely more than a regular car. And said SUVs almost always have some sort of factory roof rack. Bring along a couple of rack pads and tiedown straps and youre good to go.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

I should add that a one-week trip is risky. Even the windiest month (July) can puke for a week -- even two, rarely -- at a time. Come prepared to drive in search of wind (it pays off big time) and pursue any of the OTHER 30-40 things to do, and youll love it.

And check the archives of this and other windsurfing forums for threads with Gorge in the topic. Youll find a ton of additional data.

Mike \m/
robgray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

Be sure to bring your dog!
dougal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: