myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oregon Lake Odell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.thesing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

Why is noone on this lake? I was just there for three days the wind speed was 30 mph plus every afternoon ... the wind had no gusts no holes ... the width of the lake looked to be about 3 miles ... the wind was so strong it made cresting wind waves that were about 3 feet high ... i heard there was only one windsurfer that goes there - named kevlar ... mark
carl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

Mark,
Where is Lake Odell? Mapquest cant seem to find it.
mark.thesing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

one hour south east of eugene ... in the middle of nowhere ... close to other lakes such as cresent and waldo ... mark
lomax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

Hey, do you want it to get crowded or something. Did you sail ? Sunset cove state Park is the best launch but keep in mind that your at 5000 and rig 1 size bigger than you think that you need
mark.thesing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

so is it true? very strong wind ... every afternoon ... not gusty ... great windsurfing or what? why is there no one there? it looks a lot better than that other gusty place in oregon that is very popular - you know where you drive a half hour to get to the new spot for the day ...
lomax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

Yes it is true. I have been sailing at Odell for about 10 years, sometimes a few days a summer and sometimes more, when I need a break from the gorge. The deal is that the lake is set up great for a west wind but the clincher is that at 5000 it takes a big sail. I sail a 7.5 or sometimes a 6.7 wave sail there but try and ride a smaller board to play around on the waves. You can camp at the east end but it is hard to get out and up wind depending on your gear. Sunset cove sets up side shore but the launch is in a bit of a wind shadow. The lake will kick up a swell at about 15mph and as you noted it is usually very steady. That is the secret of Odell that the wind is so steady that you have to rig big so you can get going. A crowd is when there is anyone else sailing besides those that came with you. Also the lake can blow in the late evening even when there is very littloe gradient.. so there you have it. Enjoy
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

Ive heard it blows there regularly in the summer, but how can you tell if its A)going to be windy, and B)is currently windy there?

I live in Eugene, and since the closure of Fern Ridge this year its been a hard year for catching any local breeze. Id happily drive to Odell if I had some way of telling when the wind would blow. Any indicators?
lomax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

I sailed Odel on tues evening this last week. It was nice an smooth with just enough wind to get going. Most people would look out and rig too small though because of the white caps and the waves but the altitude takes at least 1 ms size out of the wind. If you go use the day use parking or camp at Sunset cove. When that park was rebuilt some years back the day use parking was specifically set up for windsurfing. There are 5 parking spots and a few good little rockiy beaches to get out. You wont hit the full wind until you get out about 100yds past the point to the east. As far as forecasting it goes off anytime there is a west wind or nw wind set up. cooler in the valley ( eugene ) than in central oregon. Some say to compare the pressure between eugene and Kalamath falls but those numbers dont seem right because of the altitudes affect on the pressures. ( kfalls is at 5000. As for wind reports there are none except the dot has a highway cam right by the summit of 58. You can go somewhat by the forecast for the corridor in the gorge but that is a long way north. Hope you give it a try as it is realy a nice spot to sail.
Enjoy
wsmike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

I was going to head up this last Sunday (8-29-05), but my girlfriend decided she wasnt into it so went biking along the river instead. Looked like it may have been good, did anybody go? Was 80 degrees in the valley, 92 in Bend, good wind in the gorge and a Westerly flow through the pass and actually felt pretty windy in the valley. These are all the good signs no?
lomax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Oregon Lake Odell? Reply with quote

It should have worked with those conditions. You might try calling Odell lake lodge, tell them you are fishing and ask if its whitecapping... Do you have a big sail ?? if you go dont worry about getting overpowered just rig big and enjoy the smooth ride with osprey and Bald eagles fishing around you.
Good luck on hitting it. I may sail there weds/thurs but it might be too cold !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: