myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board registration threat in the Gorge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

Oregon SB 1028 would require windsurfers using Oregon launches -- including tourists -- to register their boards with the state. Heres the Bills bills key point, IMO, [with my clarifications in brackets]:

(2) A person may not use a Class 2 waterway [i.e., the Columbia, by definition, because its not natural] for a recreational use unless the person obtains the express permission of the riparian [shoreline] landowner. However, a person using a Class 2 waterway that is located on public lands may act as if the person has express permission of the riparian landowner if the person complies with all applicable laws, rules and policies [including registered, stickered boards, if that passes] established by any public body, as defined in ORS 174.109, or federal agency with management authority over the Class 2 waterway.

New Mexico tried board registrations years ago. We got the bill aborrted by walking into the legislature with a very short board and explaining that many sailors have large quivers of them and rotate their quivers very often.

Is this bill intended to protect tributary shoreline homeowners, or is it a desperate, veiled attempt to find a way to tax windsurfing? Ill never forget or forgive the state of CA for trying to make me pay about $78 to ENTER a local state park just because I had a quiver of WSing gear inside my van (I havent been back to CA since, and that was in the 80s). Does anyone want the Gorge to get that kind of reputation?

This begs a question: How can 9 people pass a state law, as is implied below?

Wont this bill drive many local windsurfers to WA, and some tourists to avoid the Gorge altogether? Wouldnt all OR towns and tourist-related businesses on the Columbia be wise to oppose this bill? Should the CGWA notify them of it and its potential for impacting their economy?

Mike \m/

Excerpts from a PacNW regional forum post:
> Recently a bill SB 1028 was introduced into the Oregon Senate. For the
> licencing of small water craft and restrictions to access of waterways.
> This type of stuff has been going on in Oregon for several years. Each
> time the amendment was defended. This time the backers of reducing
> water access have found allies. This really goes back to several land
> owners on the John Day River not wanting fishermen and hunters accessing
> the river banks and having boaters float the river. And if you remember
> the licencing part from several years ago when it went back to some
> counties that needed more funding for their marine patrols.
>
> In past, the amendment was limited to said named rivers. This time they
> are going after all river systems to limit access. And to add insult to
> injury they want to licence all small boats in Oregon. The bill has a
> forming of a committee which has representation formed up against river
> access users. It is 4 of 9 representatives right from the start against
> river users. Add one more and good by access. It requires a fee for
> the length of your boat (windsurfer) and number installed on the board.
> The problem is Oregon has not defined what a boat is or is not. Don’t
> laugh, I use to have numbers on my sailboard when I lived in Iowa. And
> I saw Iowa Marine Officers ticket an out of state sailboard. That would
> go over real well for the windsurfing tourist in Hood River!
>
> It really would be great if a Windsurfing Lawyer would look over this
> bill and report back what they think?
>
http://landru.leg.state.or.us/05reg/measpdf/sb1000.dir/sb1028.intro.pdf
> http://landru.leg.state.or.us/05reg/measures/sb1000.dir/sb1028.intro.html
>
> --
> Anthony
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

Imagine the State of Oregon trying to make money in the name
of SAFETY. At least they will be creating a few jobs for the resulting law enforcement. Leave it to govt to create the problems we pay them to solve. If they play with our heads, we gotta pay? Yep,
looks like they might have found another big cash cow!!
PatrickDietz00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

Its rather ironic that they label boards as small boats.

Most of them dont even float with a single persons body weight on them.

does this mean were going to see an increase in the number of stone cold sinkers out there??

haha.
shitan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

I guess the 9 people that made this law are kiters, they wanted to reduce the number of WSers to the max so they enjoy better,spin around and around and around, plus less right of way...

Rio Vista, CA will be the call instead. The town will see prosperity in no time. I better open a hot dog-burger place and Call it Sail 4 less burgers.
bonner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

I really love the Gorge, and I go there every year, but this would kill it for me. Its bad enough Hood River charges to park everywhere in town, and you have to pay at virtually all sailing sites. Ill just save my gas money and fly to Maui where its more friendly...also plenty of wind and waves here in good old CA. If this passes, Hood River will turn back into a truck stop. Way to go Oregon
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

Iso,

I think you are jumping to the wrong conclusion:

There is nothing in SB 1028 (or in SB 438, a companion bill) that even intimates that registration of windsurf boards is on the horizon. The registration requirements only apply to boats.

The bills flow, in large part, from property owners along the Deschutes who have gotten fed up with disruption caused by the friction between floaters and fishermen

I am all too familair with government and the stupid rules that it hacthes, but in this intance you might be getting a woprked up over a non-existaent threat.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

I hope youre right that Anthony is jumping to conclusions, but:
SB 1028 . . . limits
public use of class 2 waterways [thats the Columbia] to that allowed by the riparian [shoreline] landowner. The bill requires the State Land Board to adopt, by rule, river management plans
and creates an advisory committee [these committees can carry a lot of weight]. . . . The bill allows the
State Land Board to delegate program administration to another public body [thats scary, if Anthonys is right that the present committee is almost tied in its vote on this issue].. . . It requires the State Marine Board to create a
river recreation use registration fee program and non-motorized boat fee [!] to finance planning, management, enforcement, facilities, etc. It requires river
users to have either a user registration or boat registration. It allows the
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and the State Marine Board to enter
into agreements with the State Land Board.

If I were a Hood River businessman, the Arlington mayor, or any Gorge WSing shop, Id want this bill, its sponsors, and their intent observed closely to prevent yet another opportunity for apathy and/or ignorance to let things get out of hand. Anthony thinks its real; you dont. NM barely defeated a very similar bill; some states WSers let it slip through and now pay the consequences.

Id sure like to hear some more from both sides on this issue. I dont like having laws on the books with this much potential for a committeee to add more grief to our lives just by waving its collective hand.

Mike \m/
shitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

May be its the lack of wind in the gorge [while here in the bay were getting all the wind all sring 4/3 wetsuit] got Mike to think of the none saiblable condition as a state of Oregon law enforcement.
Make a trip to Cali Mike ,wind is nice, people are even nicer, makes you forget about the 80s.
No 2.5 or 3.5 yet but a lot of good time on 4.5-6.0.
I hope you guys start having some good wind by now, May is a absolutely the start for the Gorge.
Take it easy on those back loops though, theyre still challenging SF sailors.
boozehound

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

Chill on the kiters bro, sounds like you are still insecure about sharing the H2O and cant get over it....
BH
shitan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: RE: Board registration threat in the Gorge Reply with quote

What Im pretty sure of bro, Is youre one of those. Not a pure kiter nor a pure windsurfer. Checking out both sites and posting here and there. As a former windsurfer you sound too disappointed, wether you should go back to windsurfing and suck again or stick to the boring hanging spinning kiting. Figure out your way and come post at IWINDSURF.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: