myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

GEM,
Im afraid your math is wrong on this one. Barely a floater for a 170lbs is closer to 95 liters depending on how many wetsuits hes wearing and how big the sail.
110L is more like floating on a dock with the new small wide boards. Plus, compared to his bigger board, I dont think hell see a big impovement in higher wind control until the board is below around 105L, especially with the newer wide boards.
shitan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Coach,
Im no better than anyone else here. For all of us, everyday new challenge, new experience new lesson. Even when we reach the highest level of the sport were still learning. Thats why were not kiting, we still have a lot to accomplish.
PSS74 have a long way to go learnig short boards and he is so undecisive whether he should do it or not.
Whats the reason of having this forums here, if were not learning from each other and pushing our selves towards the best?
I never told him sail smaller board or leave the sport, i told him why is he affraid of starting a new challenge if he likes windsurfing just like you and i and windsurfings nature is challeng challenge and challenge.
I hope you got my point.

Good sailing for all of us.
gemoore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Ill give you this, Carl.....on saltwater you are right. And hes sailing on saltwater and I didnt compensate for that. But I weigh about the same and I sail on the great lakes and Im here to tell you that a 170 lb guy on a 95 L board in fresh water is up to his shins.

The width of the board has a lot less to do with the ride on chop than the bottom shape. If theres little V, youre right the ride is harsh. I wouldnt recommend that to an intermediate, and I didnt.
carl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

GEM,
Im guessing PSS74s 150 liter Mistral is at least a few years old and probably not one of the new style wide boards. I personally think the new small wide boards in the 105-115 liter range ride like the older 130 liters. The new shorter length helps but Im sorry, wide is just not good for high wind and chop. Wide is good for early planing and stability in transitions. You can make a wide board more forgiving with soft rails and v but its still much better to start with a narrow board and add the soft rails and v.
Gorge boards are narrow for a reason, they cut thru chop like a hot knife thru butter.
PSS74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Well I generated quite a Response from everyone, and I thank everyone for all their advice. True - I did struggle with the big board, straps, harness etc...So I figure I might as well get something small for me, say 95-105 litres. I was just wondering if people were going to suggest I go to a 70 or 80 litre Board, as in so many magazines and even here in this forum, people say 65 is their small board and 95 is their Big Board! Despite the lack of High winds around here, Im not going to leave the sport! Ha, thats funny. My mistral is the Emotion, wide and friendly. I did ride the carve 121, nice ride, Ill see what I can get the best deal on. Thanks all.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

I get your point now. It sounded like you were telling him to quit if he didnt want to go smaller.

Coachg
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Dont just look at what people are sailing, look at the conditions they are sailing in. If 95 liters is their big board, then 18-20 mph is probalby a light day.

I dont think anyone here was thinking 70 leter, but maybe 85-95 liter should be OK, they will just be on the sinkier side. The 105 liter board will float you, not like a dock, but you should be able to uphaul it. It just may overlap your current setup too much in sail range. And, since you already have your light wind board, get the smallest board you can. Just dont get a board that overlaps your current setup too much.

For example, if your current setup will sail 6.5 to 9.0 sails, dont get a board that sails 5.5 to 8.0. Too much overlap for only a two board quiver. Your next board down should be about 4.5 to 7.0, which would put you around 90 leters. Hope this helps.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: