myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSS74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Greetings All
So I learned on a Big Old Olympic mistral 240 litre, then bought a 150ltr Mistral. Which I love, (but in hindsight maybe I should have gone for a 130ltr.) I sail on L.I. Sound where the wind is usually Light.(7.5 and 8.5 most used sails) However I do want a smaller board for the occasional 20+ Days. I went to Cabarete Easter Weekend and sailed alot of boards, and Liked JPs best, Starboards 2nd...Had a hard time on some small F2s. But I must say, I feel like Ill be too frustrated if I go below 100ltr. The first day I struggled on a 125ltr, went back to 130, ended up fairly happy on a 115. (although it was still squirrelly) I weigh 170, can waterstart consistently, quasi planing jibes. For High Winds here it will be Choppy, some Swells. Not real waves Usually Gusty, So what volume and type board should go for? Should I break the 100 litre barrier and struggle? or stay in low 100s? -freeride, freestyle, or super X style? I did really like the XCite Ride...Any Thoughts. Thanks in advance - Pete
btw- Cabarete is watersports paradise
carl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

I think only you can answer that question. Obviously when the wind really picks up, your present board is too big. Do what I did, get a used board that is uncomfortably small and learn how to use it. Its really practice that makes you good with small boards (on water, not reading someones answer on the internet). When you are comfortable with that size and use it more often, youll probably buy a newer one (and/or get a smaller used board). 100L is still relatively floaty for 170lbs, it sounds like technique and confidence is more of an issue here.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

I don’t think we can answer that question for you. Besides, I think you answered your own question on size. You are the one sailing it, you need to be comfortable. And for only a couple of days over 20 mph, you may not want to go below 100 liters. Given time, you will be comfortable with a small board. Some things you might want to consider is what sail range you currently have. If you go too small a board, will you have to get new boom, mast and sails? How much are you willing to spend on those occasional 20+ days? If you have the cash, go for it.

Coachg
trygveagus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

PSS74,
I weight the same as you. I have two boards now F2 Xantos 145 liter and F2 Axxis 98 liter. When I transitioned from 145 liter to 98 liter, I also struggled . Although I could waterstart with 145 liter easily, I found difficult to waterstart with 98 liter. The board kept flipping when trying to stand up on the board. But it was really practice...persistence and TOW that finally I could overcome this. And it really did not take that long to get used to the smaller board. So based on my experience, I think you can also manage the 98 liter board. But also note that I live in SF bay area that has plenty wind for the 98 liter board so TOW with 98 liter is not an issue for me. I think used board is a better value than buying new especially for your situation.
shitan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Before you learnt how to up haul a 200L board and to tack it or jibe it you struggled a lot.
Before you got in the straps the first few times you catapulted a lot.
Before getting your first water start, you almost dislocated you shoulder from trying hard.
Why when it came to do the same struggling all over again on smaller board youre asking if you should go for it?
From my point of view, if you stick to your big board and forget about the 20+ youll miss half of your life. Windsurfing is based initially on high wind thats where all the fun and the feel of danger.
If youre afraid of sruggling to get the 100L going i dont see any meaning of you to learn windsurfing period.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Shitan,
Please reread his post. Half his days are not 20+ mph. Only a few days are 20+ mph. His average sail size is 7.5 to 8.5. He cant conjure up more wind, so yes, a 100 liter board may be too little.

If he lived in the bay area, Maui or the Gorge, your post might make sence, but not based on his description of the conditions he sails in. And, just because he doesnt live in a high wind venue, you cant tell him to give up windsurfing.

Here is my advice to you. Stop, think, then speak.

Coachg
gemoore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

I agree with coachg.

The issue here is how many 20+ days a year you can be out on the water. In the NE, there are probably 15-20 days a year in that range, mostly in the spring and fall. Two in seven of them fall on a weekend. So that means youre likely to be riding it a maximum of 6 or 7 times a year on LI sound. Take it somewhere with a more reliable wind generating thermal, and up the number a little. Moreover, youre going to get to ride it a couple of times in the spring, start to get the hang of it, and then have to wait 3 months for your next experience. The smaller you go, the fewer the number of uses a year. I have 4 boards, the smallest of which I typically get to ride 2-4 times a year outside of trips to Hatteras.

So in your situation, Id recommend getting the smallest board that is barely a floater. Somewhere in the 105-110L range. A board this size will carry your 7.5 and comfortably go down to 5.0. Pick something friendly in chop (i.e., kinda soft rails and some bottom V), with an outline that jibes easily - almost on autopilot. No point in making this hard on yourself.

The board I like for this is the Starboard Carve. If you really like the JP, go with what you know. Above all, listen to coachg, and pay no attention to the posts telling you to go small or go home. Get what works for you in your local conditions.

GEM
gemoore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Sorry!! Hit the wrong Icon button!! Thats a thumbs up for coachgs advice.

GEM
carl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Coach,
Actually I lean towards Shitans point of view, with a different twist.
Even though PSS74 only sees a few high wind days, those are far and away the best days IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT and learn how to use it. Also Coach, try the new 2005 100 liter boards. They are quite wide and plane up really early so they can be used in quite light wind, once you have the skills and confidence. Even in lighter wind they are more fun than a big wide board.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: RE: 2nd Board -Litre and style recommendation? Reply with quote

Carl,

My problem with Shitans advice is not that he told PSS74 to get a small board-I told him to get the smaller board if he could afford it- but that he tells PSS74 that he should quit windsurfing unless he gets a smaller board. We are supposed to be encouraging people to sail, not telling them to bug off because they are a little unsure about smaller gear.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: