myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
More on Magazines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

I have current subscriptions to both mags and have the latest copies, so neither is out of business.
I like Windsport (Canadian) better but it only is published 3x a year, whereas Windsurfing is 8x.
Does anyone know how much a subscription to Boards (UK) is for delivery in US?
nugget

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

Hi,

Boards is £52 per year (10 or 12 issues, I cant remember) this is about $95. I used to write a little for Boards so Im biased but its definitely the best magazine Ive ever read.

Their gear tests are not too badly driven but the industry and the instructional articles are very good. The overseas subscription is quite expensive but most months its well worth it.

Nugget
Justme_121

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

I also get both but it seems to me that Windsport is 4 a year plus the buyers guide and Windsurfing is 5 a year plus the buyers guide. So... 5 versus 6 in total. I like them both. Usually their tests are pretty similar but I did notice some differences in their opinions on the Naish Vectors this year and Windsurfing even had quite a different review between last years and this years Titan (although different sizes). I am also a bit disappointed by Windsports tests (especially sails), lots of great positive opinions but I have yet to see them say anything remotely negative about any product (even more so than most publications which are always very positively weighted). You have to read between the compliments to try to figure out the true picture.

Arni.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

Arni,
Im only getting the spring, summer and fall issues of Windsport and the buyers guide IS the spring. Youre getting 2 more? Must be getting 2 winter sailing issues (of-course, not delivered to Calif). Definatly 8 Windsurfing issues, including March buyers guide.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

Nugget,
Thanks for the info. I got a sample issue and it is a superior mag, English humor and all. They gave me the price in pounds so I didnt know what to make of it.
Justme_121

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

Im confused now. I was sure there were 5 a year a buyers guide, early spring, spring, summer, fall. I seem to recall recieving 2 already; the buyers guide, and the early spring. Ill have to check what I have at home from this year so far.

The Windsport website actually lists 4 a year... buyers guide (late Feb), spring (mid April), summer (june), fall (September).

Arni.
nykite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

check ebay
i got a 3 yr subscription to windsurfing for $0.01 + $2.95 shipping. No joke. I just got a renewal and it was $9-$11 or so for another 2 years. You can almost always good mags super cheap on ebay. Magazines give out promo subscriptions in big lots and then these guys usually turn around and sell them or use them for promo.
Justme_121

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

Yeah,

I have definitely recieved 2 already this year, a gear guide and an early spring edition. I was expecting a spring issue in mid-april but I guess I will wait and see.

Arni.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: RE: More on Magazines Reply with quote

Arni,
The credits page in the mag says 4 issues too. Last year I got the buyers guide, 2 different spring issues and summer (but no fall). 2003 though, I got a fall. This year i got B.G. and early spring already, like you said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: