myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge in May
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtlwind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Gorge in May Reply with quote

What are my chances of being able to sail in May? Not looking for nuclear days just want to plane and work on my jibes. Will be there 1 week first week in May.

Thanks.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

Go to page 5 of this TRAVEL section, where that specific question was addressed at length.

Mike \m/
trburl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

They are stellar. Come on out, you will be treated to good westerlies and few crowds. Perfect for working on your jibes.
mtlwind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

Thanks.
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

I live here in the Gorge and notice a certain method to the madness... a pattern to the wind insanity. Wind almost NEVER blows on the weekends (must be a conspiracy against PDX/Seattle weekend warriors). Tuesdays have been the super-nuker days for the last 2 years (WARNING: hazardous super-nuker Tuesdays in the Gorge can lead to serious health complications including, but not limited to, out of body experinces... enter at own risk!!)

May is a transitional wind month in the Gorge most years... very on/off. No telling what might happen this year... its been a very odd season thus far.

My advice... get to know the wind patterns as time draws near for your visit.... check out the latest talk about wind conditions and wind patterns:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NW-WINDTALK/

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/PDXwindsurfer/

http://www.windance.com/forum/forum.cfm

http://www.****.com/phpBB2/index.php

Also, learn about all the different windsurfing sites in the Gorge. Huge difference between the sites on any given day. Need to know your ability level and match that with a particular site on a particular day.

-- wmp
Peter.Svensson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

I spent one season (March-August) in the Gorge in 1996, and May was a good month. You joust have to be willing to drive a lot…. As fare as I remember the spring is manly 4,7 and 5,4 sails…
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

As mentioned below, May is hit or miss. Usually better conditions at Maryhill and points east. Bring a good wetsuit as the water is still cold this time of year.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

With some 3.0s thrown in for good measure. Weve already had four or five sub-4.0 days. You just cant tell what May will be like until June 1.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

Im still in a 5mm dry suit with a 3mm vest over it, plus hood and booties, and my hands still often drive me off the water.

Mike \m/
starfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge in May Reply with quote

Hey Mike 5mm plus 3mm vest in May?? Are you getting old on us??
Where you at the wall last saturday? The water wasnt bad. jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: