myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
second board options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: second board options Reply with quote

I searched the archives and couldnt find the answer for my specific situation:

I weigh 145, own a 130 ltr f2 powerglide, can waterstart dependably, and am 10-15% successful with jibes. Im looking for a smaller second board for 20-25+, ideally an all around board that is easy to jibe. Will usually be sailing in the Chesapeake Bay with an occasional trip to Hatteras or other ocean sailing spots. Also not sure whether at my level I should get something a few years old or whether brand new boards are worth the extra cash.

Lastly, not sure how low in volume I should go.

Any advice?

thx

Joe
nugget

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: RE: second board options Reply with quote

Hi Joe,
At 145 you can get away with a pretty small wave board, wave boards jibe so sweet but are very unforgiving - I would suggest getting something all round 95-100 ltrs, you would still be able to uphaul if required but will still fell much smaller than 130ltrs and be much better at jumping,turning etc. Dont get too tempted to buy anything too small, at your weight you will get a lot of use out of 95ltrs - get the hang of that and then move down to 75ltrs if you need in a year or 2.

New boards are NOT significantly better then something 2-3 years old but are much better than boards 5-10 yrs old, hunt around for something 2001-> and spend the money you save over a new board on going sailing.

If you are looking for a high wind board dont be too bothered with a fast board unless you are sailing on very flat water, in high winds the water will be rough and if you have a comfortable all round board you will be more in control and therefore go faster than someone struggling to hold down a fast slalom board. But at the other end of the scale wave boards are outstanding in true waves. You will progress much faster on a board that is easy to sail.

Ohh Lake Michigan surface water temp is up to 37 deg - I might get get out this weekend......

Hope this helps
Nugget
carl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: RE: second board options Reply with quote

Joe,
I think 95L is still going to be too big at 20Kt+. Im 200Lbs and sail a 91L in that wind. Youre so close, go down to Hatteras and demo different sizes to make sure. Suggest trying around 80-85 liters, pleanty floaty, much better control than 95-100L. The newer freestyle-wave boards are very forgiving. Note that 75-78L will still be a marginal floater at 145lb.
loonie2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: RE: second board options Reply with quote

I weigh 185 lbs & my small board for 18+ knots is a 90l wave board. I dont know your area so Im not sure what style of board to suggest (free-ride,free-style/wave, wave...). Id say if its flat water at 20-25+ a 95 litre may be ok. Otherwise, something less than 90l for your weight would be easier to control.
joepring

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: RE: second board options Reply with quote

thanks for the good info!

joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: