myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
market demand for a better windsurfing book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
millermp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: market demand for a better windsurfing book Reply with quote

I was just asking about back issues of windsurfing magazines and I had to ask myself why?

The magazines and videos are pretty good in terms of content and style, but I havent found any single resource that knocks my socks off.

So I just did a search on book titles on amazon.com for windsurfing and got stuff like The Ultimate Guide to Windsurfing, and Learn to Windsurf in a Weekend (I still have a dusty copy of the latter).

I havent looked at the first book (by one of the moreno twins), and Im sure its nice, although Ultimate sounds like a misnomer (check the reviews, link below).

Is it just me or can there be wider, unmet demand for something more definitive and encyclopedic that could appeal to casual voyeurs, beginners and seasoned experts alike? Not a $10, 100 page ditty but a beautiful monograph that youd want to keep on your coffee table? Something that had more than a bit of everything: minutae on fin, board and sail design; clean schematics, choreographs, of basic to advanced moves; something on the aero/hydrodynamics; and of course goosebump-raising full-page images of different sailing styles and locations.

Im not in the publishing field and I wouldnt know where to start, but sports like bowling have better books out there than what youll find for windsurfing. Is there anybody else who thinks the same?

link to reviews of Ultimate Guide...:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1585743054/ref=pd_sim_b_1/102-2989532-1381731?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
farabi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: RE: market demand for a better windsurfing book Reply with quote

i dont think its really posible Smile something with that much detailes must be written by somebody who is really good. and that somebody will rather be windsurfing then writing.

what im trying to say is that pros and alike tend to oversimplify things (just look at some windsurfing instructional made by pros)while people who arnt that good make complex, detailed instructions that are useles for the most part.
wsmike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: RE: market demand for a better windsurfing book Reply with quote

Some parts yes, some no. I think that windsurfing is one of the more technical sports I have encountered, and trying to describe in words how to pull off a jibe, or any number of other more advanced skills is probably going to run you into the old addage, a video is worth a million words. In most cases, it helps much more to watch somebody doing something, where you can rewind, and play it over and over--rather than read someones words and try to visualize it for yourself. Most cases, a beginner doesnt have the knowledge to visualize the move correctly which probably doesnt convert into a very high ratio of success on the water.

That being said, Id like to see a book like youre describing, with glossy photos of exotic locations and detailed info on hydrodynamics, the physics of fin design and etc. I think a book like this might wind up on many a sailors coffee table, if it were ever produced.
millermp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: RE: market demand for a better windsurfing book Reply with quote

First, thank you both for your feedback.

What you said about the how-to part of windsurfing: theres no doubt hands-on instruction, followed by video, are the best ways to learn.

Im in my fourth year, nailed my first couple duck jibes in Maui last year, even my first back loop. And Ive spent a few hours already on continentseven.org going slo-mo through some of there clips. And I like about some of the Peter Hart videos or the how-tos in magazines like Windsurfing, where the wind direction is ephasize with colored arrows, etc.

But the point of the book would not be instructional, to help you hit a move or to improve your jibe (although it would illustrate a jibe and tack, etc.), but rather something beautiful as well as useful that can answer a lot of questions while reflecting the true beauty and diversity of windsurfing.

Re the point one of your raised, something like the old saying: Those who can do; those who cant teach...:

It does seem out of place to hear the voiceovers on some of the videos that sound like Ed McMahon (who might never have seen windsurfing before). And Im sure Robby Naish doesnt have the inclincation to do something like this.

If someone were to do something like this, it wouldnt be written from individually or from scratch. I dont work in publishing and dont know how it works with royalties, etc. but there are a lot of good resources scattered around in websites, magazines and people themselves. With cajoling, enticing, pleading and begging I think a dozen or two top contributors could make the kind of book I have in mind happen. Basically, take everything thats out there, organized it, pull it all together and put a cherry on top.

On a final note, I guess the magazines havent done it because they dont think theres a market demand. On the other hand, there are books that you think would have zero to little broad appeal that for whatever reason become blockbusters. For example, Stephen Hawkings Brief History of Time has out-sold Madonnas Sex several times over, and its just text.

Anyway, thats enough pipedreaming...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: