myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting up on Low Vol. Boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSS74

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

Greetings,
Ive been sailing a couple of seasons and have been to an ABK camp & I thought I was somewhat decent, I can waterstart, sail backwinded,clew first, high winds and pull off semi decent Jibes, but Ive had a hard time getting up on small boards. I have a 150l Mistral for L.I. Sound light - medium wind sailing.(great board) In the caribbean over new years, I finally sailed a 110 litre, which I could ride. ( albeit a bit squirrely) But then I tried to get up on a 95 litre F2, and could not get up and going for the life of me. I felt like an idiot. So whats the secret...? I weigh 170lbs and cant imagine how big guys sail 60-70 litre boards. Im off to cabarete next weekend and want to demo small boards (to ultimatley buy one) so I dont feel like Im sailing a barge on high wind days. What litre size ( and style-i.e. freestyle, freeride, wave?) should I target for 4.0-6.2 sails in L.I Sound Chop/small swells? And whats the trick to small boards? Another lesson???
TIA -Pete
pacspeed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

You just need more wind my man....Im 205 lbs, and I couldnt get up on a 60 liter board in anything under 30 knots (4.2 and down). 70 liters I MIGHT be able to do at 25 knots, but it would be tricky. For 4.0-6.2, 80-85 liters should be the smallest you look at. Slightly more if its a wave oriented shape (i.e less efficient, more volume wasted in the nose.)
carl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

Im 200lbs and regularly sail a 91L and sometimes 78L. It sounds like youre just underpowered. Rig a bigger sail than you normally would with the big board. You actually need more power with the smaller board cuz it sinks more and creates more drag. Youre not overpowered because you have much more control with the small board. I usually just switch to a smaller board when the wind picks up, keep the same sail, maybe give it more downhaul.
Also you cant just stand on it and wait for the wind to get you planing (it sinks). Keep your weight on the boom not on the board. The wind in the sail actually holds most of your weight.
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

the trick is not rounding up during your waterstart..it helps to be perfectly powered so yourre going to the right place!(I assume you can change sails easily)

if you round up real bad dont fight it, just jump off, turn more downwind and try again

Have fun down there

Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

The trick isnt a trick at all; its TOW and more power. I went down in baby steps from 260 liters to 60 liters, and I now use the same 60-65-liter board for everything from overpwered 2.8 to OK-powered 5.2 (I weigh almost 190). If the 5.2 is weak or I need my 6.0, Ill get my 83-liter board. But it took me a decade to move down to that size. I wish I had rushed it a bit, as the feel of a total sinker is hands down better, IMO, than that of larger boards when the terrain gets nasty or large enough for maneuvering.

Id use my 83-liter freeride for 4.0-6.2 wind. BUT . . . what are your consequences if the wind backs way off? I just swim to shore and walk back . . . no big deal. YMMV in L.I. Sound.

Ya waterstarts them by ALWAYS keeping the nose i a broad reach; thats Job One, Job Two, and Job Three. Everything else, such as not putting any weight on the tail until youre planing and it will support your weight, follows. From tjhat point its all TOW.

Mike \m/
Windlover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

On top of all the other great tips, TOW being #1, have your feet just a bit more forward during your waterstart to center your weight better on the board. Instead of your back foot just in front of the rear strap, move it closer to the rear straps. Move your front foot a little closer to the mast. Be sure to push more on the front foot to keep the nose downwind. You can also hang on the boom to drive the nose downwind.

As for test rides, for your conditions I would recommend a freeride. More versatile in more conditions and can carry a larger sail range.

Have a great trip.
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

I am getting to terms w/ my 75l right now myself, and initially had the same problem. The problem was that I attempted to beach start like I get away on 100+l boards: Step on the board first, sheet in second. By then however, a small boards submerged already. The feet need to lightened up, obviously. In order to work on that, I sat down on the ground in beach-start deep water, both feet ready to get on the board. I sheeted in to get forward going, and lift to get on the board at the same time. If you know how to waterstart, youll figure this out. Once I had that wired, I could also beach start, because I had learned how much of my body weight I needed to commit to the sail in order to avoid to sink the board, and get up and going simultaniously. Waterstarts no problem eather now. Hope this helps.
JP
melpel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

Interesting to see these posts indicating the front foot on the board. Putting both feet up can often lead to dragging (drifting) sideways instead of upward forces. A common approach is only the back foot on the board, weight in the boom, with forward leg still in the water. The boom pulls you up then the front foot goes on the board.

The board can go under during the water start, but if the sail is powered it is no problem; as soon as you start moving it pops to the surface.

At 200 lbs I sail typically from 90-102L. Based on your size I would agree with the post indicating 80-85L target. 60L is pretty small and may really limit the days of good sailing. Should also say board style is a major factor. My 90L wave board was probably equivalent to a 80-85L freestyle. The freestyles are wider and plane up much faster than wave boards, so you can go lower volume (if for some reason you wanted to...)
wiamea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

Mike aka isobars; good imput! only I hope it doesn;t take me 10 yrs. heck I;ll be 60!!and your right its TOW and reading these post from all of you with experiance windsurfing and what carl said about the boom and power of the sail holding or supporting your weight what a concept Id never thought of it that way!! also using a larger sail with more power 2 get the smaller boards planning, I though I was going to have 2 invent some training wheels!! thanx 4 the info. Im glad that people with experiance pass it on 2 worms like me struggling in there 2nd year!!
PSS74

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: RE: Getting up on Low Vol. Boards Reply with quote

Nice, all good tips...I guess looking back, the wind was only 15-20, and my friend riding his 95ltr, weighed about 155lbs...So more wind probably would have helped..I thought I was light on my feet, all weight on the boom, but alas- Not enough wind...Hopefully Ill have good breeze down south, Ill let you know how I make out after Easter in Cabarete. Thanks for all the great advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: