myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
vent plug
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Thats the way to do it. Only next time, drill some holes in the nose as well to get full air circulation.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Why take the screw out?
Just unscrew it til its loose. Theres pleanty of air gap with the loose threads, at least with the production boards. The rubber O ring is there to seal it, because threads leak.
tshred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

All the rental shops in Maui seal the vent plugs up.

If the board does not go through big altitude swings they seem to do ok with the vent plug closed as long as water is not in the board.

Probably giving one of the Maui shops a call and asking their experience whould be helpful.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Coach,
It sounds good, are you willing to try this theory with a new board in a hot van?

Eva the board lady has said on her forum that in high humidity, the foam core will actually pull in significant enough moisture from the air thru the vent, that she recommends closing it when its humid, like when it rains. My theory is that in Thailand its quite humid (where the Cobra factory is) so all production boards have some moisture in the foam core. I have never been there but find it hard to believe that the cores are climate controlled from manufacture of the raw core to when the finished boards are loaded on the container ship.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Carl,
Im not saying that no moisture will get in the board on a humid day, or that you can not worry about leaving the vent plug in. Im saying there is a significant difference between having water in your board and plain humidity. Im not saying leave your board, vent closed, in your van on a hot day, humid or not. I take my vents out every time I put my boards away. The vent plugs go in the same clear plastic bag as my fin screws. Cant sail the board with out a fin, so when I reach to grab the screw, there is the vent plug.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

I have talked to them. They say most renters carry their boards on top of their rental car or inside a big white rental van so they really dont get that hot. Its more of a risk that someone will forget and sail with the vent open.
Its also rare that a guy like me comes along and keeps his boards in a dark colored mini-van that can get really hot while parked at Home Depot.
I agree with you that most people dont subject their boards to 120 degrees (or whatever the threshold of delam is) and probably dont need to open the vent. That threshold may vary if your board was made during the monsoon season or not.
I noticed that if I hang a dry towel in my dry garage in the cool rainy season, it will be significantly damp in a couple days and wont dry out. In the summer, when it doesnt rain, a wet towel will dry in a day. Eva thinks the same thing happens to the core if you leave the vent open during the rainy humid season. This also may explain why they keep the vents closed on Maui rentals.
slynch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Threads are notorious for being leaky. Thats why vent screws always include an O-ring. That being said, I have always wondered about water in the threads. It would take a bit of pressure to force out the water from the constricted spiral path along the threads. This pressure, magnified by the large area of the board, could conceivably delam the board.

For this reason, if leaving the screw in, buy a screw with a slot cut along its length. This give a lower resistance path for ejecting any water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: