myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
vent plug
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcz30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: vent plug Reply with quote

Just bought a new board,
w/ vent plug,old board
didnt have one, so come
in from sailing and I see
I forgot to close the vent.Time I unload the board at home,water is dripping
out. How do I get the rest out, is it a big
deal to get some water
inside???
thanks
carl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Weigh it to see if it is heavier. If no weight gain, try hooking a vacuum hose to the vent and/or leave it in the hot sun a few hours and see if any water comes out, if none, just sail it. If its heavy, drill a hole in the tail and stand it on the end with the vent open for about a week, noting how much water comes out. It works better if its hot. If its still heavy, maybe consult a professional who has a board spinner.
loonie2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

For the future, you may still want to open the vent screw when the board is not in used so on a hot day any remaining water that evaporates in the board has a way to release & not cause damage. Ive also been advised to tie a line around a footstrap as a reminder to close the vent before sailing.
srr37

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Reminder TIP: Get a 2 piece chinook base, remove vent plug and put it in the base hole (head down-and clip shut to hold it) Now you cannot sail without removing vent plug (and re-inserting in board)
melpel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Not sure where you are located, but if it is a new board you may want to get it back to a shop. I believe ASD in the SF Bay area can deal with those problems....
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

You can use a paper towel to wick the rest of the water from the open vent. Just twist the corner of the towel and stuff it in the vent hole. You can lay the board on its back so the vent side is down keeping the board flat so gravity is helping keep the water near the hole where it went in. As long as the vent plug was just loose, there probably isnt too much water in the board, and you should be able to get most of it out after 4-5 towels (change them when they are soaked). The longer the water is in the board, the more it will tend to spread out through the foam and the harder it becomes to get it all out.
tshred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Just want to echo the importance of not letting the board get hot with the vent plug in when there may be some water still in the board.

I did this once and the entire bottom delaminated.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

I agree with the delam warning and opening the vent when its hot but
wouldnt you have the same danger of delam even on a new board that has not leaked water? There is humidity in the air so wouldnt that expansion or contraction depending on heat cause a problem too?
wsmike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

I had this same thing happen to me, although I forgot my vent plug at home. The wind was blowing, the sun was shining, so I grabbed a hunk of the local clay on the shore and carefully plugged the hole while I sailed. I wouldnt recommend this, but it did help keep some water out for a short time.

When I got the board home, I drilled 3 small holes in the tail, then leaned it up against something with the tail down for a few days with the vent plug out. I also used a vaccuum hose on the vent hole, then sealed it with duct tape and let it run for several hours. Afterwards, I filled the holes with epoxy, theyre barely visible now. Over a year later and no delam trouble at all.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: RE: vent plug Reply with quote

Carl,
there is a significant difference between humidity, and getting water in your board. There is just not enough moisture in the air to cause significant delamination.

For example, try heating an empty pot, covered, on a humid day. I dont think you would get the same effect as if you put a little water in that pot, covered it, and heated it up. The lid will start jumping with water in the pot.

Cachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: