myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
JP Xcite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriana67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this board? It was recommended to me as a good all around freestyle board. I heard they are not very durable. Is this true.

Thanks, Adriana
wiamea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Adriana, Ive heard the same that there fragile and decided on the carve by starboard, I dont know much about the ex-cite and have only been at this for a couple of years. Its all pretty confusing so far and I believe its what you get used to. Ive surfed for alot of years and you could have 20 people out on a good day with different boards and theyd all say theres was the best!! I rest my case...If possible try before you buy, liters I assume would be determined by your weight.
loonie2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Ive been on the 135L x-cite. A good board but I prefer my BIC Techno E-Large. The JP planes a bit earlier & seemed great on the flat water. However, I did ding it in this one session (another failed jibe). In addition to the probable higher repair costs, the starting cost is higher.
melpel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Ive sailed for years, and sailed many of the JP baords. The JPs are generally what I would call a light, high performance board. By this I mean they chose lighter design versus durability.

Really great boards but if you are still in the early stages you might consider something that handles more abuse for less $.

I have friends that buy the Bic boards for about half the price. The boards are a few pounds heavier and not as refined for teh style (freestyle, wave, whichever you choose), but generally good boards for value sailing.

I fix my own board so the periodic nose digs in my JP are not much of an issue. Have one friend that glued foam pads across the nose of his after an expensive repair.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

You can order a color coordinated plastic nose protector for the new JPs. It protects the rails about 1 foot down each side. I noticed most of the JP boards at NP Maui rental shop have them. They say the boards hold up well in rental.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Adriana,
Its interesting that the X-cite was recommended for freesytle instead of their Freestyle-wave or Freestyle models. JP website says the X-cite is a freeride board. Did they give any reason for this recommendation? Im not a freestyle guru, just curious.
Adriana67

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

I think the xcite was recommended as an all around board, specifically for the bay area for those of us who are in the early stages of intermediate sailing due to its quick response b/c of the rails any easy gybe ability.
melpel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Have seen those on the Maui boards, but never in shops. Should probably spend the time and $ to get one as the JP nose is always beat.

I did come across an cite at Coyote this week. One thing that I noticed different from the JP FSW is the back footstraps were separated further. I have found this has quite an impact on board usage as it makes boards better for slalom and worse for bump and jump.

Could use the single mid strap (many people do), just not my perference. Two straps near center provide a nice balance of speed and arial control.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Adriana,
If its SF bay, Im sure youre thinking of the small X-cite 95L. The bigger X-cites are really for lighter wind.
Depending on your weight and waterstarting/sailing ability, you may consider the JP Freestyle-wave 91L or even 84L. They are touted as being smoother in chop and more forgiving. Im shopping the same size board but I never tried the X-Cite 95L. I asked the neilprydemaui forum which board (X-C 95 vs FSW 91) would be smoother in bay chop and they said the FSW 91L would be smoother but not by much and a little more manuoverable. The X-Cite 95L would be faster though (which may or may not be what you want depending on where you sail (chop conditions) and if youre looking for more control or more speed).
Adriana67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: RE: JP Xcite Reply with quote

Mel, where in Coyote did you see these boards?? At windsurf shop???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: