myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vracer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

I have been winfdsurfing for two seasons now and want to learn to waterstart so I can start to windsurf at Crissy (I live in SF). I have the dasher video and viewed it many times. I was just wondering if one site is better than any other for practicing waterstarts.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

Waist high, warm water without chop or current
Aruba? Hatteras?
I dunno, maybe someplace sharky....
A muddy bottom with eels and creepy crawly things?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

Corpus Christi sure comes to mind. Endless chest-deep water, lots of moderate breeze. But the BEST way is to go someplace you must waterstart to sail but are not in danger.

Mike \m/
mnisam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

Go to Alemeda. warmest water in the bay, Endless beach, side-on shore wind, on tides between 2.5 and 4.5 (i think) you can stand for 300 - 1000 ft, small swell etc.

crissy, on the other hand, has bigger swells, colder, deeper water, more current, more ships and is more dangerous in just about every way.
melpel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

Sounds like a trip to Coyote Pt might help. Light chop, shall inside. A fair amount of space ot drift down the beach then walk back.

The only thing to watch is when you do get up and sail away... you need to get back. Stay fairly close to the inside and no problems... good luck with the water starts!
AAAknot30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

I was at your stage of learning last year around this time. I could sail all right in moderately strong winds, but still hadnt committed to learn to waterstart.

I would practice waterstarts over and over again in the shallows at Coyote Point. Just getting up on the board and sailing about 8 feet, then fall off an try again. Wasnt much fun at the start. Maybe get 2/10 successful waterstarts, but I was committed to learning. I bought some gloves that helped protect the my hands. I would drift all the way down the beach at Coyote, and then have to wade back up the beach to start again. After practicing for about a month, I could get about 6/10 waterstarts. I was more sensitive to the gusts that I needed to waterstart.

Becareful to watch for other sailors there. It can get really crowded at that area of Coyote Point.

I practiced once at Candlestick. That was cool because it is flat water, so your not getting pushed around by the chop like at Coyote. Wear booties. Dont drift too far down wind. At Coyote, I could drift as I tried about 10 waterstarts in a row before I had to wade back up wind. At Candlestick, I would wade back up wind almost after every 2 waterstarts.

I then did an ABK camp at Rio Vista. That helped a lot! By the end of last season, I could waterstart about every time.
jimbeall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

3rd ave close to low tide, you can walk for hundreds of yards, even if you get down winded you can walk back and drive down to pick up your rig. The walk of shame , actually is what everyone goes through until they can plane and stay up wind. An when the wind drops, we all love those long slogs or some places you can walk back, like 3rd Ave.
melpel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

Third used to be good for this, but I would not recommend it any more. The inside near the main launch is the kiteboard hangout, and drifting through there trying to learn will be dangerous for both you and them.

The near low tide also needs to be well clarified... Third is unsailable below a +1.5 tide (sandbars are a risk below +2). At that level the mud is pretty bad.

Third is a nice place to sail, but I would not recommend this for your waterstarts... Coyote Pt would be a better choice...
carl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

Be careful at 3rd at low tide. There are big sand bars out before the channel marker that can be just inches below the surface or even exposed. Very dangerous if your going fast.
I think Candlestick at low tide is safer. You can stand at most spots.
I learned on a floaty board that could also be uphauled so it didnt matter if the water was deep. Candlestick doesnt have much chop so a bigger board works there as long as its not too windy. Go a little earlier in the day when its not so windy.
melpel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Where is Ideal Site to Practice Water Starts Reply with quote

Candlestick is OK if you do have a board you are comfortable uphauling. The big drawback there is the winds are typically offshore (to slight side-shore).

As long as they are comfortable uphauling it will not matter. If learning to waterstart only you do not want to drift out past the point... dould be a long way back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: