myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seattle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtlwind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Seattle Reply with quote

I have the oportunity to work in Seattle for 6 months- jan to june.
What is the windsurfing scene like in Seattle? Sailing conditions? Easy access to sailing sites?
melpel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: RE: Seattle Reply with quote

LeeD is right on... Ive sailed htere, but only trolling on big gear. If you are serious into windsurfing the Gorge is 200 miles south....

m
bingenschool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: RE: Seattle Reply with quote

WHen you get to the gorge check us out the Bingen School Inn & Hostel Beds $16 nite, 10 stay pass for $100. Cheaper than parking yur car in Seattle,,
w3.bingenschool.com
Cheerz!
Windlover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Seattle Reply with quote

Ditto on the big gear for local sailing. Definitely head for the Gorge on weekends. For about 1.5 hrs less drive, WA side of Jones Beach near Clatskanie, OR is usually good in the spring/early summer. Head south on I-5, Exit at Longview/Kelso following signs for beaches. About 18 miles west of the last stoplight you will find a pull off area right next to the river. You will see the east end of Puget Island and a nice channel for sailing. Jones Beach is just across the river on the OR side. WA side is better sailing. Enjoy your stay in the NW.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Seattle Reply with quote

Isnt Clatskenie even better in late summer, when Portland heats up and the Gorge bakes? Ive seen Clats crank (5.7-3.2) 16-20 hours a day for 10 days in a row in August, while the Gorge tops 1000 (thats a typo, but it FELT like 1000) degrees and is as flat as a pancake. A Portland resident tells me thats common that time of the year, and Ive caught it two years myself without even trying. I know its just Clatskenie, and the swell is meager, and the chop at the OR beach is like Celilo on steroids, the water is industrial, and the OR natives are borderline head-hunters, but I think staying in one spot for 10 days of nuthin but sailing in hard, super-steady winds, eating, and sleeping in cool weather is pretty tough to beat, especially compared to heat waves in the corridor.

Mike \m/
Windlover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Seattle Reply with quote

It can be good in late summer if it is cool on the coast. It has to be hot in Longview and cool at the coast to get the pressure gradient winds. It is easy to predict if you can get the high temps for Longview and the coast. Example: Longview 85, coast 60, it will blow about 15-18. Longview 90, coast 65, winds 25-28. When the coast warms up in late summer it tends to shut down but it can change from day to day. If the coast reaches 75 it usually doesnt matter how hot it gets inland. The area sets up similar to the Gorge but is more sensitive to changes than the Gorge.

It can be a fun place when the tide is going out and the winds are 25+. Good ramps for jumping. Usually better on port side.
stephem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Seattle Reply with quote

As far as sailing in Seattle, here are a few more datapoints.

I sail on Lake Washington when possible, with best results in the fall as storms roll thru. There hasnt been much this year, a couple of days but mostly on larger gear.

In years past Ive made it out on my gorge board a few times. Mostly tho even these storm fronts require medium-ish sized equipment, and by that i mean 115+ litres, possibly even 130+ and a sail above 6.0. I bought a 9.0 sail and have a 148 litre board and that combination has gotten me a few extra days. I could have sailed Sun 3/6 in the PM on the lake right down at the I-90 bridge, but didnt get motivated. There are assorted spring days where this big gear is enough to get moving, but its often a small window of opportunity.

I cant recall there being much wind to sail in the summer at all. But overall, i just drive to the gorge all summer and anything else the rest of the year around here is just for kicks.

Ive heard this place Jetti Island near Everett has decent summer PM thermals and the kiters all flock there. Sounds like a pain in the @ss to get equipment out to it, but that might be another local-ish option.
forwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Seattle Reply with quote

There can be great small gear sailing in puget sound if you know where/ when to go. Watch frontal patterns. Marrowstone island near port townsend often has 30-40kt pre- frontal SE winds and huge swell. Less intimidating sailing oak bay nearby. Can also get hours of post-frontal 25-30kt SW winds locally at 3-tree point, sailing 4.7 =5.2, where I live/sail. If not frontal winds, can get lighter N winds 10-20 and larger gear (8.5m/ahd FD74) and still enjoyable sailing. And the gorge and oregon coast (6+hrs to florence, 9 to pistol river) are great during summer months.

See this link for local pacnw site info:

http://home.earthlink.net/~crzybdhd/wind/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: