myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any Canadians out there????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prayingforwind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

Where is the best place in Canada to be a windsurfer or kitesurfer.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

P.F.W.,
Are you thinking of moving to Canada? Do you need a place that has jobs too? I think the usual Canadians on this forum are frozen or on vacation so Ill try to start the ball rolling. Im not Canadian but I can name a few of the popular spots. Nitinat Lake on Vancouver BC.
Kingston on Lake Ontario. The great lakes in general have lots of spots. They are like little fresh water oceans with real waves and lots of sandy beaches. Youll need a drysuit in the spring though.
prayingforwind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

Thanks Carl, I currrently live in Vancouver but would like to travel accross Canada and check out other spots along the way. I will deffinatly look into the great lakes.
loonie2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

For the record, Canadians are not frozen in during the winter. I recently sailed English Bay in Vancouver. Although I dont think the Vancouver area is considered a destination for windsurfers, there are opportunities. In general, the summer for Vancouver is best for big formula gear. Smaller gear goes to nearby Squamish or Harrison Lake. In the fall/winter, there are opportunities when storms come in. I hear Nitinat Lake is great in the summer but it is on Vancouver Island ($80 1-way ferry from Vancouver with a car).
Oiler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

Lake Winnipeg has great windsurfing and kitesurfing, at victoria beach or grand beach. There are white sandy beaches, but the winds are not always predicable.
joespeed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

Madgelan island about 4000 miles from BC !!! or PEI, thats where the wind is, of course, its quite cold. Thats where the people from Montreal go to on windsurfing vacations, I instead moved to the SF Bay area, mutch better Smile)
guruwind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

Sauble Beach on Lake Huron is great too.
11 km of sand as white and fine as flour. And the wind blows like crazy in the fall.
Sampras

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

U bet cjg! Saskatchewan is a great place to sail. Good to see some RIDER fans on the site.
johnnyb

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Any Canadians out there???? Reply with quote

If youre into high winds, Quebec City in Quebec is THE place. They just got 10 days in a row of 3.5/4.0 weather. You can count on a minimum of 50/60 days of winds over 30 knots a season, that is from May to November. You sail the St-Lawrence River against the tide; in 3.5 weather you get 10 to 15 feet waves... no kidding!!!

Check out the photos section on Windsurfing Quebec, itll give you a good idea.

http://www.windsurfing.qc.ca/photo/index.php?PHPSESSID=46352ecd780037e05d48841f5a5c4133
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: