myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Michigan Windsurfing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nugget

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

Hi, Ive just moved to Plymouth Michigan from the UK. Ive heard that Holland is a good spot (after April) but can anyone give me a quick run down on other spots in Michigan and what wind direction they work in. Any Information would be appreciated - I cant wait fo it to warm up so I can get out there.
Thanks
Nugget
carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

There seem to be a general lack of mid-west people on this forum. Maybe its the weather!
Try clicking on local info then shops or clubs for the Detroit area. They might know. I know they sail Lake St Clair, I think its around Grosse Pointe. Maybe Yahoo search.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: RE: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

Michigander here. Carl is right, there is a lack of midwest people on this site. As a matter of fact, Carl is usually the only one to respond to my posts about sailing locations. Ive lived in the U.P. and Wisconsin for the last few years, so Im slowly learning about the locals down by Plymouth.

Holland is definantely the place to be when the wind is WNW, W. But that is a good few hours for you. I know there are a couple of places of Lansing, but dont know for sure.

Traverse is an awesome place to sail. There are quite a few places to shortboard when the wind is good.

Dont be affraid to invest some money in formula or longboarding gear. Im poor and in college so I can only afford my One Design...I love longboarding and to live here and windsurf, you have to begin loving light air sailing, otherwise youll find yourself quiting. Ive seen it way too many times. People learn on big boards, get good enough to shortboard....sell all of their floaty stuff, and now they have less days on the water!?!?!? Whats up with that!

Make a trip to the U.P. This late spring early summer (late May or early June). Windsurfing on Lake Supperior is great. Stay at McClain State Park in Houghton.

Check out www.windsurfmichigan.com
for more info. The site (Im told) will be back up soon. Also check out www.windsurfharborsprings.com.

Good luck. Probably will see you this summer.

Oh, remember that Fall and Spring is the best time to sail. Get a drysuit if you dont already own one.
valkgal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: RE: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

Hey Nugget,

You are in for a plesant suprise. You have more interesting and accomodating launch sites on this side of the state, rather than holland.

I just returned to Michigan after living near the Gorge, and SF for 16 year, expecting never sail in high winds again, and to my suprise there are dozens of opportunities to get on smaller gear in the spring and fall, and many phenomenal launches in the Great Lakes region. What you have to do is pay attention to forecast, especially wind direction. On that note the most common problem is that the over state the wind I think to caution great lake boaters.

A couple things about Michigan sailing:

You need it all. There is plenty of wave and short board sailing on 3-5m2, but most sailing will occur in the 6 to 8.5 m2 sails, on 110 to 150 L boards. You could choose to buy some huge stuff, or go with kiting for the lighter winds of July and August. There are 2 kiting movements going one on both sides of the state.

Another thing is there zillions of places to sail and most are beautiful. When its windy at a launch, its ussually windy across the region.

Also, there are no windsurfing shops around. I think there may be one up north somewhere, with windsurfing gear as a sideline.

Heres a list of sailing sites:

1. most phenominal: Kettle Point, Ontario on a Northerly or slightly NW, but not NE. Kettle Point is a north facing point that juts out about 30 miles north of the Blue Bridge of Port Huron. It will take you less than 2 hours to get there. After a northerly has blown over night or so the waves are awesome, 5-8 feet braking gently over a huge area on a series of bars. This site reminds me most of Hawaii.

2. On a southerly, Marysville Michigan is the place, its right on the St. Clair River which drains Lake Huron into Lake St. Clair. Since the current is moving to the south, a southerly wind sets up gorge like conditions with sheer generated bump and jump.

3. For NE to E to S to SE, there is Tawas Point, up north on Lake Huron. I havent hit this right yet, but there is a beautiful state park at the point and shallow water. for quite a ways. It accomodates a lot of wind directions.

4. For a quick local sail, look up Dodge Park on Cass Lake. This near where I live SW of Pontiac. The lake is large enough to have some fetch for semi steady wind. I get a lot of sailing through June, then after September. Last summer we were suprized by a few great mid summer blows. I have had some suprizingly windy sailing where I was blown off with my 4.5 on 105L, but mostly its a 6-10 m2 sailing sight.

5. Lexington, MI, north of Port Huron on Lake Huron. This is a common spot if there is N to E to S winds. (maybe S is bad there, not sure)

6. A lot of people go to Metro Beach on Lake St. Clair, but the water is a bit dirty there for me.

7. Stellar Beauty: Lake Hamlin near Lake Michigan, north of Lexington. On a N or S wind the lake lights up better than the big one. Flat water, but its clean warm and 2/3 of the lake is surrounded by dunes and woods.

Hook into these groups (sorry but the sign up info is on my work computer)

Yahoo Group: Yahoo Michigan Windsurfing group

Newsletter, races, Michigan race schedule: Grosse POint Windurfing Club.

See you out there.

Mike
nugget

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

Thanks for that, thats just what I was after - useful info and some positive news about the great lakes windsurfing.

In the UK we relied on low pressure systems bringing wind so that sounds familure, as soon as it warms up Ill be checking the forecasts and heading on out. I drove up to Bay City state park Saturday for a look - god those lakes are big, I just cant wait to try them out, so many new places to go its gonna be a fun time exploring around. I guess next winter Ill be learning to snowboard, Michigan has a lot to offer in the way of out door sports - Im sure I made the right choise in moving out here, windsurfing was my main concern.

Well if you ever fancy gettting in touch when the ice goes you can always email me at nugget_on_tour@yahoo.co.uk

When you lived in SF did you go to Arroya Laguna??(is that spelt right, the place by Hurst castle) I love that place and Jalama. I worked in LA for 8 months and travelled north every weekend.

Thanks again
Nugget.
mastfoot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

nuggett where in england did you winsurf I grew up in ramsgate but sailed the entire se coast from birchington to bigbury back in the 80s did bournemouth hayling lsland with dunc coombs Youll love it here state side when you get used to how big it all is any way I im s outh mississippi if you need a warm winter fix always room at the house for windsurfers
nugget

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

Hey,

I mainly windsurfed in North Devon at Saunton Sands which can be an epic wave spot, went to south coast quite a lot - Weymouth, Sandbanks at poole, Kimeridge, hayling etc and also in Wales, Rhoseniger. There are some great places back home but so looking forward to getting to all the places around here.

spent a lot of time working in LA so sailed all around central California and also over in North Carolina at the outerbanks, now its time to check out the great lakes - from what I can work out so far they are totally under-rated???.

Thanks for the offer, never been down to Mississippi so that could be cool. Ive got to get some money together first as moving over here has cost lot more than I thought... also if you / or anyone wants to come exploring up here there is a key hidden under the flower pot in front of my house - let yourself in...only joking I havent even got a house yet, but everyone is welcome.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info here its appreciated. Roll on the warm weather I need a windsurfing fix, the boat carrying all my windsurfing kit docked in New York today so Ill be re-united with my babies soon, its gonna be a fun year for sure.

Nugget
tony89

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: RE: Michigan Windsurfing Reply with quote

Hey Nugget,

Check out Dave Batchelors site at http://members.aol.com/dbatchr/djbhome/demo.htm.

It is full of Michigan info. He also has equiptment. Hes based in Lansing and is a great guy.

Your attitude is refreshing.

I moved back to Michigan after 2 years on Maui and 7 years in SF. Because of a change of circumstances (wife kids; middle of state), I have not really windsurfed much over the last 6 years here in Michigan.

I will say the most fun I have had was a 4.5 day summer before last inside the Ludington breakwall with logo high clean swells rolling thru. Swells were gorge like in size but super clean.

Bottom line, in Michigan you must be willing to travel and pick your spots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: