myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing Mauritius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iditkc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: windsurfing Mauritius Reply with quote

hi
need info about wind&waves during July and August for good wave sailors

any info would be appriciated
idit
areysen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing Mauritius Reply with quote

I was in Mauritius in May a few years back. Not much wind.. played on a big windsurfer. The east part of the Island looked like more waves and wind... with potential. SLots of places to stay. Some of the South African sailboarders may help out more, if you can try to connect there. Reunion is meant to be really good. Seychelles is pretty quiet.
Sorry not much help, but when I went I struggled to get info. Bring your own equipment. BEST if you kite, because then the opportunities are many more!
saltweb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: RE: windsurfing Mauritius Reply with quote

Ive seen some of the most beautifull pictures of Mauritius. The waves look clean and gorgeous. Euros head there all the time. I saw this posting on a British site:

Club Mistral have just opened a windsurf centre there. You can get more info from their website:
http://www.club-mistral.com/cm_english/cme_index.htm
Im planning to go next year, will e-mail them direct to book accomodation and windsurf kit; then search the internet for cheap flight deals...avoiding let down by the few windsurf holiday companies who forget to arrange transfer leaving us stranded in the airport!

Hope that helps!

Peter
saltweb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: RE: windsurfing Mauritius Reply with quote

But wait, theres more!

Heres another message that I saw on a Euro site:

Just got back a few days ago and can highly recommend it for windsurfing, if you like flat water / chop blasting. The winds are trade winds and they blow twenty-four hours a day every day, too a lesser or greater extent. In the evening you don’t wonder if you will sail the next day, just what size sail you will be using. If you look at the archived statistics for Mauritius on the Windguru website you’ll find that there are not many days that aren’t windy in the year.Virtually the whole island is surrounded by reef. We stayed on the east coast at the Saint Geran, a little outside Poste de Flacq. The reef there is about a mile offshore and the wind cross-shore. This breaks up the huge waves and gives flattish, crystal clear turquoise water. I wouldn’t even attempt to try and get over the breaking waves to the other side of the reef, your can hear them breaking all the time from the shore a mile away, they just sound like constant thunder, the closer you get the more awesome they become. Having said that, I was told there are breaks in the reef around the island that allow you to get out onto the open sea should you wish to? But that is also where all the sharks swim.This wasn’t a windsurfing holiday in fact my wife chose it for a restful break. But as we had spare luggage allowance on the plane I took some gear along, an 87-litre board along with 4.2 and 5 metre sails. I was bit overpowered a couple of times on the 4.2 when the wind really got up and one day I borrowed the hotels Starboard freeformula 138 and a 6 metre sail as the wind was down a bit. All along this east coast I only saw three other windsurfers and half a dozen kites.One day out we drove down the south of the island to a spot called point Sud Quest, near Ilot Fourneau, as we were told by a local that that was the most popular place for windsurfing. There was in fact a rental place and quite a few people out on the water when we got there, but the run to the reef was far shorter here. I don’t know the name of the rental site but would think you would find something by searching the web with the name of the place plus windsurfing.The hotels are all five star and five stars deluxe, combined with the fact that they don’t allow charter flights to the island can make it an expensive location.Hope this has been some help, Martyn (off of a UK windsurfing site).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: