myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Limantour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Limantour Reply with quote

Um, I was there Thursday, had a great time (once I rerigged to a bigger sail) and rode more than 9 waves... I was the last one on the water. Were you one of the 2 guys who pulled up right after me (black VW with racks)? If so, I think you were riding larger boards, which probably helped you get up wind to Tuba initially... By the time I (and one other guy) got up there, you guys were heading back down. We had a very good couple hours up there before the wind got waaay too flukey. Basically the high pressure didnt linger - it went inland too fast and killed it. Usually that place gets windier and windier throughout the day. The trick when it gets flukey like that is to find a break zone thats more filled in (often just downwind of Tuba) and working well with whatever the tide is doing.
JM
jibes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Limantour Reply with quote

LeeD,
No that was my friend Eric with the Carve. I know who you were (are) now... You were on the green Simmer right? I think you said you were going to rig a 4.2. I was the other guy on Simmers (X-Flex). I launched with a 4.2 on my 75ish liter board, then rigged up to a 4.7 on the same board. At that point I launched with another guy, Mikey, and we sailed straight up to Tuba... got it pretty good for a while. You probably didnt even know there were still sailors up there when you left. We derigged as the sun was setting. The wind is stronger up at Tuba than it is off Limantour. Its also sideoff at most of the breaks up there.
JM
jibes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Limantour Reply with quote

Hello LeeD,

fun, fun, huh?

Definitely. Yes, there were periods of no wind as the high went inland. There were frustrating times when I was sinking to my knees, just waiting for a gust to power me onto the incoming swell... that sucked, but if thats the price for what was at times very nice sideoff conditions... well, its worth it. That said, when we first got up there (just down wind of Tuba), it was pretty much ideal. When it got too flukey, we stuck with it for a bit then headed back down towards Limantour. Once down there, it was all over... unsailable, though I tried for a bit longer (and I too ended up swimming the last few yards in). I do agree that Limantour can be really nice at low tide, but the wind was too flukey there. I had fun the previous Sunday with light air gear pumping onto some of those waves at Limantour. My original plan Thursday was to head upwind to Tuba earlier, then work my way back down as the tide went out. Last year, I found Tuba to be pretty poor at low tide... this year it seems better... shifting sandbars? I dont know. As the beach and the sandbars curve up there, Id say you can find almost any variation of sideoff to offshore conditions that you want. To me, thats not a reason to stay at Limantour. Im no expert on the place, but I find it a bit magical. You gotta take what it throws at you.
JM
jibes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Limantour Reply with quote

Hey LeeD,
You should drop me a line sometime if you want company to go to any of the N. Coast spots you mentioned (fukitsnukin@hotmail.com)... you and I had a pretty good discussion a while back about Bodega Head. I still havent ridden waves out there. I live in Pacifica and sail the S. Coast spots often, but I love to take advantage of the North Coast this time of the year. Tuba and Dillon have been my regulars up there. Youre right about Tuba - no matter what your skunk ratio is, you keep getting drawn back. Im working Thursday, but ready for Friday...
JM
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Limantour Reply with quote

Ive been the only guy at Tuba a couple of times.

Spook factor pretty high. I have not yet, touch wood, had to make the 20 min swim in, lovely. May the Man in the grey suit be replulsed by my winter layer !!
jibes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Limantour Reply with quote

Hey LeeD,
Yeah its a bit of a haul from Pacifica, but I work in SF... I left from there Thursday. For that reason, my regular spots are the S. Coast ones... the North Coast is a novelty when I have more time, or want to get away from the S. Coast scene. I actually live near the Pier... sailed there once, but the wind let up... I was happy to get in without getting pounded. That place has an often big, fast closeout wave. Ive never seen Linda Mar very sailable. W/NW winds hit straight onshore and the Southerlies dont seem to fill in there at all. Wheres Palo Marin? Point Reyes I gather...
JM
tony89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Limantour Reply with quote

Agreed. Tuba probably scored highest on my all time spook factor (BTW that includes over mast high waves on Maui). The wind shuts on and off like a light switch which left me alone halfway between the launch and Tuba dangling a leg for around 40 minutes praying for a gust! I did a lot of talking/praying to myself. Tuba is beautiful with nice waves in sideoff conditons. The water is crystal clear and seals everywhere. Cool but scary!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: