myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Goya Fringe 5.0 low end vs Ezzy Elite 5.3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimoamore

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Goya Fringe 5.0 low end vs Ezzy Elite 5.3 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Is a 2018 Goya Fringe 5.0 better or at least equal to a 2014 Ezzy Elite 5.3 for early planing? The Ezzy is too heavy/big on low wind days with small waves and I've found a used Goya Fringe that seems much lighter... Wind range doesn't matter, I also have Simmer Blacktip 4.7 4.2 3.7
manuel

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... I tried a neilpryde the fly in 4.8, ezzy elite in 4.5/5.0, Goya banzai in 5.0. Many hours each.

I found the banzai and the fly about the same in terms of pull (direct, strong and quite high). The elite is more cambered feeling more progressive pull but lower. When rigged more full the elite felt really heavy. The 5.0 and 4.5 felt quite different. I liked the 4.5 more. Maybe it's just me.

So.... I expect the fringe to lighten up your board by being physically lighter and using a lighter mast. What are the sails specs? This will help early planing. It'll also help maneuverability. But for pure low end grunt the 5.3 will beat the 5.0. it'll just that the fringe can be rigged more full while still remaining lighter during transitions.

Give us a little bit more background with weight, board, mast, fin and use details please,

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you mean by heavy. The difference on scale weight of the two sails you mentions is most likely a few ounces. When attached to your board in a balanced sailing position, the weight of the sail is carried by the board not the user. Is one sail clue heavy or have a longer boom? That might be slightly noticeable in transitions. Improper rigging can make a sail feel heavy or more draggy. You also need to think about durability not just a bit of weight. Not to say lite sails are weak or vice versa. A long standing idea is to pick a brand that you like and stay with it. Lots of reasons for this. Rigging, sail size, and feel are just a few.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sails, generally, not down hauled enough will "feel heavy." i liken it more to feeling like the hand of the wind god is pressing down on the tip of the mast, thus making the entire kit wallow into the water and not scoot ahead in gusts. everything loads up, but you just can't get more speed....

come to florida for the true meaning of light winds. whatever you guys are feeling with not enough down haul with tiny sails you are talking about, try a detuned 6.8 or 7.5 sail. centimeters matter lots more as the sail sizes increase.

need i address the true weight of sails on a scale?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: