myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First time on a quad - It stunk?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a dedicated wave nut but don’t live in a high wind cross shore wave location, set up your quad as a twin fin and learn to live with the quirks of a twin fin. In my experience unless you’re overpowered with a 5.0 or smaller, or it’s mast high, you don’t need a quad. In lighter winds and mushier waves twins feel more lively than a quad or a tri fin, though not as free planing as a single. Also if forced to ride a large board because of light winds, a twin will be easier to turn than a single, a tri or a quad.

Downside is will slide out more easily on the top turn, or when landing a jump sideways.

Don’t be afraid of big twins. I use 2 x 18.5 cm in my 115 L “quad”. It’s my light wind board so I’ve never used the thruster fins.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1984, Prodanovich shaped me a 7'7" twin fin swallow rail.
For flat water, 2 21 cm fins.
For waves, 2 19 cm fins.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not front foot oriented (maybe balanced is more of my
riding style). Also (by windsurfing standards) I am a big guy at 6'3"
and 187 lbs. I ultimately rode mine with 16 rears and 11 fronts. That
was the best, but still not my cup of tea for typical Gorge conditions.
This thread has been interesting though, because just about everybody
who has ridden them (for more than a test) understands what they
are good for, what they're not good for, and how to set them up for
maximized function in the conditions for which they are suited. I
saw almost zero disagreement (which is unheard of here).

-Craig

dllee wrote:
I'm an old school heavy backfoot sailor.
Bought the considered "bad; Starboard '10 76 Quad for less than a c note in '16.
The following year, they inverted fin sizing, going from 15 front, 10 rears, to 10 fronts, 16 rears for more holding power.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've always had the single-fin mindset of "light wind = need more fin" its kind of weird to think of subtracting fin(s) from a quad (i.e., setting it up as a twin) for lighter wind conditions. But that could be an interesting thing to try.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got jagged, fast waves? multi fin might be for you.

got onshore, mushy crap? don't waste your time with multi fins.

how;s that for simple?

don't swallow the hype, self induced or spoon fed by anyone else.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding my quad as a twin, 16.5s, 17s and as a quad 11s+13s, 11s+15.5s.

INow going to set it up as a 11s+13s again just to mess around. It's quite fun to ride different boards depending on conditions and envy. We learn more about our sailing and sailing in general.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's always been my objective in owning many boards, but there is an advantage in owning just one (at least for someone's usual conditions): consistency. With just one, you know (after a while) exactly how it's going to react to any given input. It becomes an extension of your body. Just as you innately know how to instantly touch your little toe with your eyes closed, you learn innately how to launch and complete a flipperoo, a wangerati, or a flipperati without thinking about it.

We don't mind surprises when just slashing and bashing, because there's so much room for error ("Oh, I MEANT to carve 360 degrees and sail right up my bum"). We all know, however, the equipment and bodily damage and public humiliation we risk if we are off by 3.5% in a flipperati. I don't even want to think about that.

manuel wrote:
It's quite fun to ride different boards depending on conditions and envy. We learn more about our sailing and sailing in general.
loonie2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I picked up the Fanatic quad. Mind you, it is the evolution of a tri fin. One of the original questions was are all quads the same. My experience is no. Not sure what year the board was in your test ride.
Several years ago I tried a few quads. Same troubles as original post even though I do moderate freestyle (prefer 18cm fin if flat water). I think one difference is the rocker changed. The newer version is much more broad in usage but still doesn't have the same efficiency as my only slightly larger freestyle wave single fin. So the trade off is efficiency and control/manoeuvrability. A big reason I got the quad was high wind. It replaced an older smaller single fin 74l board. The bigger 82l quad gave me much more wind range and ease to ride swell (without always needing to be totally lit) yet no loss of upper wind range control. Also a greater variety and ease in turning. Now in your situation I note you found the bigger 92 quad was worse than your smaller 83 single fin. So maybe a different quad would close the gap, but frankly it would have to be better for you to consider change.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my quick write up after a couple of days on the quad:

It's a bit sucky in bump and jump where the board lacks lift and liveliness but on a wave it can really do anything we ask.

Bad positioning, front foot, back foot, doesn't matter, will always turn and keep its momentum. Even hitting bad chop on the wave face. Pretty awesome.

Also the release on jumps is so smooth. I feel like it's better for backies than forwards and better front side than backside.

In the lulls it slows down quickly so it needs power, the board requires more work to keep going over rough terrain. Better use a bigger board than the sail size suggests. 87 vs 82 for 4.7 for example.

For light wind, heavy current, and such I wouldn't recommend. Unless one would really stick to the wave area where water state stays clean and smooth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: