myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Toll to Access TI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrentKCole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the interesting post.
radross

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the TIMMA committee meeting (this is, if I am correct, a citizen advisory committee) for Thursday, December 9, 2021, has been cancelled. Of interest, their last meeting authorized spending an additional $100,000 in "out-reach" about the toll from prop. K funds, for a total of $200,000 on out-reach. Please post up if anyone has ever had or is aware of any out-reach by the San Francisco County Transportation Agency ("SFCTA") staff to wind powered recreational users.

Likewise, the TIMMA Board meeting for Tuesday, December 14, 2021, has also been cancelled. This is where SFCTA was going to present the toll for a vote by the Board.

Information about meetings can be found here: https://www.sfcta.org/events

The next important meeting to put on our calendars is the Bay Conservation Development Commission's (BCDC) meeting on Thursday, December 16, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. Information here: https://bcdc.ca.gov/cm/2021/12-16-agenda.html

The BCDC, which if I am correct, is responsible for the shoreline and access to the shoreline inside the Bay. In 2006 it issued its Bay Plan which included parking and access to the ramp on the N.E. corner of TI for non-motorized water recreational users [Map 5, Area 28]. It then issued a permit for the current TI development, but the permit says nothing about charging a toll to get to the access. BCDC issued a strong letter to SFCTA on November 15, 2021, about how the toll is contrary to the the BCDC's goal of ensuring access to the Bay for recreational users and the permit. Someone smarter than me can probably figure out how to attach the letter to this forum.

We need to show up and thank the BCDC for (1) standing up for us, (2) that they should not fold on the toll to be imposed on non-motorized water recreational users accessing the Bay from TI (3) the toll is to subsidize commuter costs/WETA for a ferry we cannot use and (4) we already subsidize WETA with a portion of our bridge tolls pursuant to Regional Measure 3 [Bay Bridge Toll will be $7.00 starting 1/1/22). It is a zoom meeting so showing up is easy, and the public comment is at the beginning according to the agenda.
radross

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up folks: Next meeting of the Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency Committee, is Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 9:00 a.m. The meeting is virtual. If correct, this is the citizen advisory board that recently authorized another $100,000 from Prop M money for "out-reach" about the proposed toll on recreational visitors (contrary to the EIR) to subsidize new island residents.

Of course, the ingress and egress toll/tax subsidy will be on top of the now $7.00 Bay Bridge Toll, a form of congestion management already in place, of which WETA/the ferry folks will receive $300 million for capital projects and up to $35 million in annually for operating funds. Outrageous.

Then the next meeting of the Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency Board is Tuesday, January 25, 2022, at 9:00 a.m. The meeting is virtual. This is perhaps when the SFTCA is going to ask for a vote to approve the recreational toll/tax for access to our bay (currently pegged at $10.00/round trip timed perfectly to when it is windy in the afternoon). I say perhaps since Ms. Hiatt and Ms. Chang of the SFTCA have refused to let us know in advance what they are doing, and we can only learn 72 hours in advance when they have to post an agenda.

When the agenda is posted the information can be found here: https://www.sfcta.org/events

Can someone on FB or the IG, please let the kiters and wingers know about this?
Riptide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted on FB, thank you for keeping us in formed.

Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency Committee, is Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.
Treasure Island Mobility Management Agency Board is Tuesday, January 25, 2022, at 9:00 a.m.
When the agenda is posted 72 hours in advance of the meetings, the information can be found here: https://www.sfcta.org/events
This is about charging recreational users a congestion fee of $10 to get on and off treasure Island besides also having to pay the Bay Bridge $7 toll and or the Golden gate bridge toll $8.05
WETA/the ferry folks will receive $300 million for capital projects and up to $35 million in annually for operating funds. The final EIR said that recreational use should not be charged for using existing recreation on the Island. This mitigation fee will turn Treasure island into a private gated community for the new wealthy people moving in with the new housing developments.
The ferry and buses are no use to us as the bus route does not go by the launch and prohibitive for the gear we use.
There are no amenities for water access as it is, no shower, no bathroom, no changing area, no security.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just was on a zoom call with the TIMMA staff. Since we caught them trying to go in a different direction than they promised in the Final EIR, they have decided to prepare a supplement to the EIR. It will argue that there is no new impact, and they intend to recommend adoption of the tolls system. I haven't seen the document, and given what I've seen from this group I don't expect any realistic analysis of the impact on recreation--either us or all the other kinds.

Their basic reasoning is this. Traffic from 8,000 new units will blow up congestion on the bridge. They want to set a toll to get onto and off the island that is high enough to get traffic reduced by 50%, and to fund the ferry, which they don't think they can charge the riders to actually cover the costs.

They have two very weak arguments about how they might justify charging non-congestion hours and recreation. Apparently recreational travelers would benefit from reduction of congestion--even if the transit system they have in mind is really only for commuters. But maybe they would put lockers out there so we can ride the ferry and wall 2 miles. Such a deal.

Please, if you can, attend the meeting on Tuesday ask that they kill this double cross, or at least table it for a month so we can have a realistic amount of time to look at their supplement. Second, SFBA and the merchants on the island will try to pull together a zoom meeting to decide what the next steps should be. I'll post updates here.
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

Their basic reasoning is this. Traffic from 8,000 new units will blow up congestion on the bridge.

This may be so, it may not. Are second thoughts about such concerns even relevant at this stage of the project? The environmental impacts including traffic congestion have long been modeled and accepted in the FEIR, which clearly states that visitors to the islands would not be tollled (IV.E.45).
If TIMMA proceed by trying to shoehorn an amendment into the FEIR, and that's speculatively assuming they even get to do that as part of the CEQA Process, it looks to me that the argument then would boil down to whether tolling visitors would have significant impact, or not. Pushing recreational users with kayaks, windsurf gear onto transit (i.e. buses, shuttles) would be a significant impact under the City Planning Department criteria (FEIR IV.E.29) as the transit improvements (FEIR IV.E.33) do not provide adequate accommodations for such uses, both on the islands as well as getting there from the East Bay and San Francisco. Not that there's any way to realize any of that, of course (I am pointing out the obvious, but TIMMA might want to skate reality).
Are there experts on the CEQA Process out there? I'd have to think that amending an FEIR is not covered under CEQA, no? Is there a provision in CEQA that explains how such amendments would work? I casually went out to see if I could find anything on the Web; there's no mention of amending a FEIR. All I found were some interesting flowcharts that have been put together to show how the CEQA Process is supposed to work, like this one: https://resources.ca.gov/CNRALegacyFiles/ceqa/docs/2016_CEQA_Statutes_and_Guidelines_Appendix_A.pdf
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPF—thanks for the citations, I’ll run them down. What I wrote was not accurate, the City has prepared an addendum, not a supplement. CEQA allows preparation of an addendum for minor changes in a project that do not change the level of impacts or require mitigation. Such a document is not required to be circulated for comment. What SF has prepared includes no actual analysis of what the impact would be, simply a conclusion. In my opinion, it doesn’t survive the giggle test.

In fact, the objectives of TIMMA are 1) to set tolls high enough to decrease all trips, including recreational trips, by 50%, and 2) to generate enough money to pay for the transit system. The transit system is a ferry to San Francisco and a shuttle bus from the condos on Treasure Island to the ferry. It provides no access for recreational users, it is a commute system. It is hard to imagine concluding that a 50% decrease in recreational travel by car is not a significant impact.
radross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheduling Update: TIMMA and the agency folks SFCTA have suddenly cancelled the meeting for tomorrow which was to seek "initial final" approval of the tolls to get on and off TI (yep, that's right currently proposed to be $10/R.T., in the afternoon when its windy!). No reason given, but the San Francisco Boardsailors Association has been working hard to protect reasonable access to the Bay for windsurfers, wingers, kiters, SUP'ers, etc., on TI.

Can somebody please post or let the sailors/wingers on FB, the IG or wherever they are hanging know the meeting has been cancelled.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They cancelled a few hours after they got my letter. It’s posted. https://www.sfcta.org/sites/default/files/2022-01/Item%204%20-%20Public%20Comment.pdf
LloydKBennett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: